Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined

• Please log in to reply

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi Tim,

Due to the number of problems we're facing, I think your best bet is going to be a fresh installation of Windows. While I would be happy to try and fix these, Microsoft is soon going to be ending the support for Windows XP and after this point, there will be no further security patches for XP. Many experts speculate that the number of exploits targeting XP will go through the roof after support ends and infection rates will rise dramatically. Essentially, it will be very hard to stay safe on an XP computer after April 8th 2014:

https://www.microsof...dofsupport.aspx

I highly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 7 to ensure you stay safe in the future. If you could purchase a Windows 7 license, then I will be able to talk you through the transfer process from XP to Windows 7 and help you setup your computer :)

Tom

Advertisements

bonezz777

bonezz777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi Tim,

Due to the number of problems we're facing, I think your best bet is going to be a fresh installation of Windows. While I would be happy to try and fix these, Microsoft is soon going to be ending the support for Windows XP and after this point, there will be no further security patches for XP. Many experts speculate that the number of exploits targeting XP will go through the roof after support ends and infection rates will rise dramatically. Essentially, it will be very hard to stay safe on an XP computer after April 8th 2014:

https://www.microsof...dofsupport.aspx

I highly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 7 to ensure you stay safe in the future. If you could purchase a Windows 7 license, then I will be able to talk you through the transfer process from XP to Windows 7 and help you setup your computer :)

Tom

Hello Tom,Congrats on Your Senior status,and thank You for all Y'alls hard work,I guess?,I'm clean now but the virus wrecked havock on my registry I guess?,so I will be going to "software n format issues now,so thanks again...Tim :thumbsup:

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi Tim,

It looks like my previous message didn't come across. It will soon be very unsafe to use Windows XP and I highly recommend you upgrade to Windows 7! Upgrading to Windows 7 will fix your other issues too.

Tom

bonezz777

bonezz777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi Tim,

It looks like my previous message didn't come across. It will soon be very unsafe to use Windows XP and I highly recommend you upgrade to Windows 7! Upgrading to Windows 7 will fix your other issues too.

Tom

Hi Tom,Thanks for Your input; Okay, I know Nothing about this stuff,so a few questions,if I may;I wouldn't be able to download "7",so do I order it from microsoft,and do they mail it on a cd?,or do I have to take it to a shop??;How much does this cost?,I live in Florida,any input would be helpful and appreciated...I spell terriable,but You can tell what I'm saying I hope;Thanks,Tim...PS,here is my system Now::Will this work with "7" okay?::: :confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• SNAG-14031905273500.png

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi Tim,

I'm so sorry for the delay! I had an exam yesterday and was busy revising.

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You have a 1.8GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 60GB hard disk and a compatible version of DirectX, so your computer meets all the requirements for Windows 7!

Now that we know it's possible for you to install Windows 7 on your computer, we can discuss the ways to do so. You have two options really:

• Purchase Windows 7 from a shop or online (must be a reputable seller - there are so many counterfeits out there) and install it yourself with my instruction.
  • Take it to a shop and they can upgrade it to Windows 7 for you.

The first option is cheaper, but harder. Installing Windows is a fairly simple process and there are many tutorials available, but it will all be down to you really as you will have to follow the tutorials and I probably won't be able to help you during this time as you may not have access to the internet whilst Windows 7 is installing.
The second option is slightly more expensive, but it will guarantee to get the job done right. They will be able to upgrade you to Windows 7 and transfer your files across, leaving you good to go.

Let me know your thoughts on these options and we can move on :)

Tom

bonezz777

bonezz777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi Tim,

I'm so sorry for the delay! I had an exam yesterday and was busy revising.

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You have a 1.8GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 60GB hard disk and a compatible version of DirectX, so your computer meets all the requirements for Windows 7!

Now that we know it's possible for you to install Windows 7 on your computer, we can discuss the ways to do so. You have two options really:

• Purchase Windows 7 from a shop or online (must be a reputable seller - there are so many counterfeits out there) and install it yourself with my instruction.
  • Take it to a shop and they can upgrade it to Windows 7 for you.

The first option is cheaper, but harder. Installing Windows is a fairly simple process and there are many tutorials available, but it will all be down to you really as you will have to follow the tutorials and I probably won't be able to help you during this time as you may not have access to the internet whilst Windows 7 is installing.
The second option is slightly more expensive, but it will guarantee to get the job done right. They will be able to upgrade you to Windows 7 and transfer your files across, leaving you good to go.

Let me know your thoughts on these options and we can move on :)

Tom

Hi Tom,hope Your exam went well; I guess I will have to go with option 2,have a shop do w/7 for me,I just know I will screw something up,but it will be in the (hopefully)near future,when I get my disability;So thank You Very much for all Your time & hard work,God bless & good luck...Tim :thumbsup:PS I tried to vote You up but it would only go (1) ???later....

Edited by bonezz777, 22 March 2014 - 06:25 PM.

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Hi Tim,

It was great, thanks.

Okay, well good luck with the upgrade but it should be quite effortless if you're taking it to a shop. We can leave this thread open until you've successfully upgraded so I can help you with any issues you may experience after the upgrade. If anything comes up, feel free to ask me here :)

Tom