Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Problem

• Please log in to reply

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

This part is especially confusing me: "Roxio. The GoBack software allows allows you to revert your Windows configuration file (the registry) back to it's previous states in the event of non-ciritcal errors. This program should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems." What do you mean?

What I am saying is if your system is infected and you make a backup copy you will aslo copy the infected file.
This is also the same with windows restore if the system is infected the backup will also be infected.

Also, what kind of thing would cause a problem that would affect my internet connection and one other person's that I correspond with, but no one else who I talk to?
If one of the people that you talk to is infected your aol may be blocking the infection, if you are not having any problem's taking to other user's don't that ring any alarmbell's to you.

All of this is really frustrating me, not knowing more about it; I'd really appreciate a better explanation. (About the www.dcsresearch.com hosts thing.

I take it that you tryed TDS3 and uninstalled it.
One item was not removed O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com this is a safe site and can do no harm to your system.

Kc :tazz:

Advertisements

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I understand that it would copy the infection, but are you saying I shouldn't use GoBack?

"If one of the people that you talk to is infected your aol may be blocking the infection, if you are not having any problem's taking to other user's don't that ring any alarmbell's to you."
Of course that alarms me, that's why I'm asking about it, but neither I or the other person affected use AOL or AIM. (I had AIM, but rarely used it, but I don't have AOL and have never had it on this computer.)

Thank you.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

I am not saying dont use the problem all I mean is if you backup your system when infected using any means of restoring your system make sure the backup is clean.
You need to no that when you retore back to a date that the restore point is clean if it is not clean then the malware will still be there.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
How can I check if the backup is clean? Also, would you recommend using GoBack or the restore thing that comes with Windows?

I'm still waiting for my friend to run that program, I didn't have a chance to talk to him today. He doesn't have AIM, though.

My IE status bar is gone all of a sudden. I go to View and uncheck and recheck Status Bar, but it doesn't come back. Do you know what I can do to get it back? Thanks. [Edit] Nevermind this last question, my status bar is back. :tazz: [/Edit]

Edited by Lili, 27 June 2005 - 02:30 AM.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

Why don't you ask your friend to post to our malware forum lets see if your friends system is clean. They may get a shock.

I know your system is clean.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok, thank you! I will tell him the next time I talk to him. A few things that don't make sense, though, are that he'll be fine until he talks to me, which makes it seem like it's on my end. Also, he did a reformat and it didn't solve the problem. Actually it did, he was fine, but then he talked to me and it started again. I will ask him to post here. Thanks for all your help.

Also, how can I check if the backup is clean? Would you recommend using GoBack or the restore thing that comes with Windows?

Edited by Lili, 27 June 2005 - 05:58 AM.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

When did you last do a backup.
At what date did you start to have problems with the malware on your system if you made backups from the date you where having the problems then the backs you made will include the malware.

Did your friend do a full format of his main drive or was it a system restore ?
If it was a system restore and their was malware on the system then the malware will have be restore onto the system.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
He did a full format. I don't think he's going to post here, though. I just decided to get rid of all my instant messengers for now. You said my system is clean and if the problem is coming from him, then no longer communicating with him, should solve it, right? Well, I got rid of them and I did all the stuff in the read-this-first thread again and am rerunning most of the stuff you asked me to do in this thread. I haven't had my instant messengers for a few days now, though, and I don't think the problem is gone. I can tell because there are interruptions when I listen to the radio online and I'm having a lot trouble downloading things, so that tells me I'm still getting disconnected. Also, my computer is still pretty slow compared to how it was before all these problems started. I got rid of a lot of programs, too. Do you have any advice for what I can do? According to you my system is clean and I have cut myself off from the likely source of the problems, but they still persist. Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

When you are on the internet how long is it be fore you are cut off.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have DSL, so I'm always connected for the most part. I think the time between the disconnections varies. It's hard to tell now, when I was using instant messengers sometimes it would be less than five minutes between disconnections. It really varied.

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

Have you Isp and asked then to check your connection.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Like I said in my very first post, I already called them and they checked my connection, couldn't find any problems, said it was most likely malware because I have so many processes running at a time, and said it wasn't a problem with their service because I automatically reconnect every time, so they couldn't help me.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

Download firefox
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

this is much better the internet explorer and safer too.

Lili

Lili

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Actually I already have it. I'm just used to IE so I haven't used it very much and some things don't look right in it. I will start using it more.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi Lili

Run with firefox for a few days see if you still get cut of.

I am on cable and was having the same problem and told it's must be malware.

So I told them sorry can't print what was said in the end a told them I was would change to another isp unless they sorted it out which was fixed very quick.