Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor(s) stuck in standby

• Please log in to reply

neubanks

neubanks

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everybody

I have a Optiplex 260 stuck in standby mode. Have tried three montitors with same result. All monitors test fine when detached from the box.

I have shut it down multiple times, unplugged/replugged all connections several times, etc.

I was replacing and old monitor with a new Dell 17 inch flat panel when this error occurred, but now it seems stuck on the previous monitor as well.

The flat panel shows analog input is fine, and that power saving mode is on and that touching the keyboard or mouse will unfreeze--but of course it does nothing but stay in standby.

TIA
nelson

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi neubanks. Welcome to Geeks to Go. If the monitors check out fine on another system, but not this one, that points to a problem with the computer, not the monitor. Can you boot into safe mode?

neubanks

neubanks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just to provide closure for anyone else with this problem I tried many tricks but finally opened the box, pulled the video card/reset and also reset the CMOS battery......One of those two things fixed it. This box was also jammed full of dust, blew it clean and it seems much happier, running smooth.