Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow system! need help

• Please log in to reply

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a widows 7 home basic, intel i3 processor, 2 GB RAM.
The system is pretty slow. It boots alright but programs and applications take time to open. If I give two simple commands, it goes to not responding mode but does recover in a minute. The system is about 2 and half years old.

Temp clear.
Hard Drive and memory checked for errors. It all seems alright.
Configured the Startup menu to prevent unwanted programs from opening.
Anti virus in place and functional
Formatted windows once before. (4 months back). It did help initially but now its as slow as it was.

HELPPP!!!!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Sandra Evans

Run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...QcFqBJABnw5s6TS

phillpower2.. Just for volunteering to READ that load of information.. a big THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by Sandra Evans, 15 March 2014 - 07:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Sandra Evans

I suspect that it is your AV Quick Heal IS Essentials 2013 that is causing the drop in performance as it is known for it, along with hogging system resources, if the software is a paid for product I would suggest that you make a note of the licence key and then uninstall the software using the correct uninstaller tool which is available from here and then install either Avast freeor Microsoft Security Essentials free, both offer very good protection but are light on system resources and so neither will slow your system down, if the issue is not resolved you can simply revert back to your previous AV, I can`t see it being required though.

You are welcome btw :)

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THATS IT!!!!! It worked!!!!! My system is so smooth!! Thank you so very much!!!
Lord bless you amazingly and abundantly!!!
Will never forget this help!!
I will remember you in my prayers!!

Last doubt before I close the thread.. Do you suggest any upgrades? Like additional RAM or something.. I use my system for basic computing, documentation, internet and research

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words Sandra Evans :)

For your intended use you are fine with what you have at present, more Ram would improve performance though.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested please.

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
For your eyes only:

http://www.crucial.c...5B727A031D926C3

It seemed like a Greek transliteration to me :P

Anyway, thanks for all the help!!! God bless!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

A bit of an explanation is required here;
You presently have 2GB of Ram which is adequate for your needs.
Adding a second 2GB of Ram would improve performance but not get you the best out of your 64-bit Windows 7.
Upgrading to 8GB would involve replacing the present 2GB stick with 2 X 4GB sticks, this is ideal for your operating system but a lot more Ram than you will presently need or use.

My best advice would be to continue using the computer with 2GB of Ram and see if you are happy, if you do decide to upgrade please refer back to the above or reply to your topic here and we will take a look.

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You are awesome! Thank You!! Will get back if I need something :) :) :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you :blush:

You are most welcome and please do let us know if you have any other questions :thumbsup:

Sandra Evans

Sandra Evans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

New trouble..

The system (which is realllyyyy fast now, thanks to you guys esp Philpower2) was working fine till last night. Now it boots, goes past the welcome page but desktop wont load.. I can see the mouse cursor. Everything is alright in safe mode. But the issue persists on normal mode. I did a system restore. After running the entire process, it says that system restore was unsuccessful. But started working absolutely fine..

What could have been the problem, Will it happen again?

Yours nervously

Sandra Evans

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I suggest that while the computer is functioning correctly you first of all create a new restore point and then back up any important data on the HDD;

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.