Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WEI score took a dive in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and ran the WEI test from an elevated C prompt, and it seems to have taken a dive in a couple areas as opposed to the WEI I ran last fall with Windows 8 installed. I have no clue as to why or what to do about it. The machine runs well. I did an SFC scannow to check for errors and it was good.
Semi-new HP DV7 Notebook. Display adapters : Intel HD Graphics 4000......NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• WEI 10-2013 - Copy.JPG
  • WEI 3 2014 - Copy.JPG

Edited by woodrow896, 16 March 2014 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK. I know the problem. You do have two GPUs - a discrete Nvidia and an integrated Intel.

If, and this is a rather large "if", the drivers for both GPUs are correctly installed,
the BIOS is updated to the latest version
and configured for graphics auto-switching
and the various support drivers for real-time hybrid switching are working, you should be able to fix the problem thusly:

Open your UserPreferences.ini file in Notepad or a text editor of your choice. Scroll down to the section entitled "[Render]" and locate the entry "DisplayAdapter=0". Change the "0" to a "1" so that it looks like "DisplayAdapter=1". Save the change.

Provided the stars are aligned properly and everything is right in the world, you should be able to run the WEI and have something greater than zero.

Best of luck!

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks...
How do I locate the userpreferences.ini? so far no luck...

Edited by woodrow896, 16 March 2014 - 03:17 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Do a search.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sorry for being somewhat inept at this but when I search UserPreferences.ini ,nothing comes up. I type it in every which way...hmmm

Edited by woodrow896, 16 March 2014 - 03:42 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I do not know more about it. You may not have the file. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Sorry

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for taking a shot at it...

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

If your drivers are the correct ones you will have some NVidia application to configure the Switchable Graphics where you can set winsat program (the one that does the WEI tests) to run on the NVidia graphic card.

You can get the idea from this video it's for Windows 7 Windows 8 should be similar.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I set it to use the Nvidia card but didn't change anything. It was worth a try. A fella on another forum just reported that his WEI score did the same thing as mine upon updating to 8.1. Maybe that is why they would rather we didn't bother with WEI anymore and made it so we have to jump thru a few hoops to get at it.
I made sure my bios and all drivers were updated.
Thanks !

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I made sure my bios and all drivers were updated.

One problem with the Switchable Graphics is that you can't use the latest individual drivers you have to use the ones provided by the Manufacture so the "switch" can work.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
What is the point of switchable graphics ? Power consumption ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

What is the point of switchable graphics ? Power consumption ?

Yes. I'm not sure about other advantages.