Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Back in August/September of 2014 Phillpower2 helped me with a Video problem.

I built (put together the parts) a computer in Feb and Mar of 2013.  I had problems.  Finally, after AMD replaced the processor it worked fine until March of 2014.

In early March of 2014, I was working on my outside lights.  I think the process of turning off/on the power at the switch box created a power surge that took out the timer/switch

I had on those lights and my computer power supply.  It did nothing to the other electronic devices I had on the same circuits.

Since then, the power supply has “gone out” twice.  Is there something in the computer that could disrupt the power supply 3 times in 3 weeks?  Should I be looking for a virus?

I’m using :

Widows 7 Home Premium

AMD chip FX 6100

Mboard Gigabyte 970A-DS3

Memory 4 gigs Patriot and 4 gigs Kingston

Hard drive Sata Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 G

Power Supply imicro 400 watts

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday, welcome back.

I would not attempt using the computer any more.

Since then, the power supply has “gone out” twice.  Is there something in the computer that could disrupt the power supply 3 times in 3 weeks?  Should I be looking for a virus?

I think it is the actual PSU failing, also surprised that it has lasted so long and could have damaged other components.

Please read, conclusion, > http://www.hardwares...y-Review/1072/9

I urge you  to replace it with a quality one before testing the build to see if any other parts are faulty.

In which country do you live?

Geek8453

Geek8453

• Pip
  • 6 posts

If you were to replace it, try and go for someone like Corsair, they often include a 5 year warranty in the product

DrJohn3030

DrJohn3030

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanks for all your help.  I replaced the PSU with another identical because it was free.Thanks again!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your Welcome band thanks for the update.