Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading an Optical Character Recognition Program?

• Please log in to reply

tomsgtg

tomsgtg

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello Everyone:  I tried to download this from Cnet and it had a virus in it so I cancelled it, I notice Cnet is downloading badies lately with there downloads, so I dont want to use them anymore.

Anyone know where I can download ocr (free)? Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can try FreeOCR from SoftPedia.net. They are (so far) a good site without a lot of crap.

CNET is the pits. It's turned into one of the worst places on the innternet to download from. Avoid it at all costs.

MajorGeeks.com is another good place to download from.

Note: I have no experience with FreeOCR.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Don't ever go to CNET for downloading programs. Do you have Microsoft OneNote? If yes it's the best one to go with.Open it in the One Note and right click on the page and you'll find an option to copy the text in the picture. You can even try by taking a screen shot of a document and ask OneNote to recognise the text. Another better option would be FreeOCR software.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I've also started avoiding downloading from cnet. Keep away from it

tomsgtg

tomsgtg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Don't ever go to CNET for downloading programs. Do you have Microsoft OneNote? If yes it's the best one to go with.Open it in the One Note and right click on the page and you'll find an option to copy the text in the picture. You can even try by taking a screen shot of a document and ask OneNote to recognise the text. Another better option would be FreeOCR software.

Do you have Microsoft OneNote?  No how do I get it? Thanks

Also cnet.com is out forever, Thanks

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Do you have Microsoft Office Suite? It comes along with the suite, even if you don't have One Note in the Suite, you can download and activate as it's part of MsOffice suite.

tomsgtg

tomsgtg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Do you have Microsoft Office Suite? It comes along with the suite, even if you don't have One Note in the Suite, you can download and activate as it's part of MsOffice suite.

No I dont think so, I had microsoft office 2010 on my add remove programs but it will not work and HP said I would have to reinstall my os back to original settings to get it to work. but I dont want to do that now, I have too many goodies on my pc like Team viewer etc

and I dont feel like installing everything all over again at this time, Maybe later.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

No I dont think so, I had microsoft office 2010 on my add remove programs but it will not work and HP said I would have to reinstall my os back to original settings to get it to work. but I dont want to do that now, I have too many goodies on my pc like Team viewer etc

and I dont feel like installing everything all over again at this time, Maybe later.

You can actually repair the MS Office suite in the add or remove programs. You have the option of repair for any corrupt or non working MS programs. And if you ever wantedd to install a whole lot of new programs anytime, try Ninite Installer. It'll help you install a large variety of programs automatically including programs like Team Viewer.