Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome has gone Mad!

• Please log in to reply

krisinluck

krisinluck

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I spent almost three weeks fighting with Conduit with a Crowbar over in the Malware forum.  

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.geekstogo...search-scopes/

At the end, II was clean - Chrome was rocking, and all was right in the world..

Yeah.  Not as of Saturday...

• Chrome has gone back to opening several tabs when I open it - photo below - and there are always at least 6 of them; this morning it was 8.  Sometimes more.
  • I have to sign into Chrome every time I open Chrome.  
  • My search engine was changed again.  Bing, Yahoo, and AOL.  I *never* use those choice.  Ever.  The option to put Google in as my search engine wasn't there at all.  I did get it fixed last night by manually entering the url for Google Search, but how long is that going to last?
  • I have run Malware-Bytes.  Nothing shows up.
  • I have run Avast full scan.  Nothing shows up.
  • I have deleted Google, rebooted, then reinstalled.  Same song, same dance.

Help!  I'm out of ideas here. But I need the computer to work - I work from home, and this is not making it easy.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Google loads.jpg

Edited by krisinluck, 07 April 2014 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hello krisinluck,

Its unfortunate that you're going through a similar issue once again but you will need to re-create this topic again in the Malware forums (as this is symptomatic of malware).

Edited by humble2k14, 07 April 2014 - 09:45 AM.

krisinluck

krisinluck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Since Crowbar suggested I bring it here, I did.  So I guess I'll go back there.  We've changed defaults in Chrome, we've changed a lot in Chrome.  I am concerned that since he is not familiar with Chrome, some of that may have created the current issues.  

Sorry to bother you.

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

You are NOT bothering anyone :). I just believe since you've expressed that you're experiencing similar issues as you had before when you had malware that it would be a malware issue (I could be wrong).

As for the multiple tabs, lets see if you have multiple items in your Google Chrome startup configuration. Please follow these instructions:

1. Click the docM7g6.png on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings. If you’re using a Chrome device, click Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page.
  3. In the “On startup” section, choose the options below:
    • Open a New Tab page: A New Tab page will open up when you first launch Chrome.
    • Continue where I left off: See pages that were open at the end of your last browsing session. Chrome will also restore your browsing data and session cookies. Session cookies are the information that websites can use to keep you logged into sites such as Gmail. This can save you time from logging into your favorite sites every time after you’ve restarted Chrome. However, it’s recommended that you log out of websites when you’re using a public or shared computer.

If you’d like Chrome to reopen all your pages but discard session cookies and other site data, go to Settings > Show advanced settings > Content settings > Keep local data only until I quit my browser.

• Open a specific page or set of pages: Click Set pages and enter the web addresses of the pages you want to see.

You may need to look around in these settings and see whats listed; if you see links, homepages, etc that you don't want listed remove them and Apply your settings -> exit Google Chrome and re-open to see if this fixed the multiple tabs issue.

As for Google Chrome requiring you to sign in every time, do you want to have your Google Account synced with your Google Chrome browser? If not you can disconnect it from Google Chrome all together by doing the following:

To disconnect your Google Account from Chrome and disable sync entirely, follow these instructions on each computer where you’ve signed in to Chrome. Your data, like bookmarks and extensions, won't be deleted from your computer or from your Google Account, but changes you make will no longer show up on your other computers or be saved in your Google Account.

1. Open Google Chrome.
  2. Click the Chrome menu docM7g6.png on the browser toolbar.
  3. Select Signed in as <your email address>.
  4. In the "Sign in" section, click Disconnect your Google Account.

Instead of disconnecting your account entirely and disabling sync, you can choose what you want to sync by clicking Advanced sync settings.

5. Click Disconnect account in the confirmation dialog.

If you want to stay signed automatically please follow the directions below:

1. Click the Chrome docM7g6.png on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. Adjust your password settings in the "Passwords and forms" section:
    • Select "Offer to save passwords I enter on the web" if you want Google Chrome to prompt you to save your password every time you sign in to a new website.
tLsVP4b.png
*In addition please Check if the Google Accounts "Stay signed in" option is actually enabled or not. Visit the Google Accounts homepage and verify if the checkbox below the Sign In button is selected. 

Edited by humble2k14, 07 April 2014 - 06:08 PM.

krisinluck

krisinluck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

humble - I went and checked everything you noted.  They were all set before this crazy started.  I suspect you are right, though - there is still bad stuff on the system.  

I do have an open issue in malware now, I suspect I'll hear from someone there today and maybe we can beat this thing back into submission.  

Thanks for trying.  

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hello again krisinluck  :wave:

It sucks that I could not resolve your issue but I have high hopes the anti-malware team can, goodluck! :thumbsup:

Edited by humble2k14, 08 April 2014 - 07:28 PM.

krisinluck

krisinluck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Thanks.  At least I'm down to just one extra tab..