Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude D600 wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

missfixit

missfixit

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I recently was given a Dell Latitude D600 laptop for free because it wont power on. All it does is light up for about 3 seconds and then goes out. I noticed the fan never comes on or any sound that the motherboard is working , except for the lights. The guy who gave it to me said he had a problem with the plug port for the charger so he ended up replacing the motherboard.  I took the hard drive out , put it in a working laptop and I get a Disk Error. I ran the diagnostic test with F12 and I got this error [DST Short Test Error Code 1000-0146 which I found out it means the hard drive is bad. So I took the laptop out of the working laptop and placed it this one and it did the same thing NOTHING.

Can anyone please help me ?  :bashhead:

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Take out the hard drive and leave the drive bay empty. Can you access the RAM? How many sticks are installed? If there are two sticks, take one out and try booting up. If that doesn't work, then replace the one you took out and remove the other one. If that still does not work, do the same thing again, but but the sticks in the opposite slots that they were in.

Before you do this, make sure you remove the battery and have it unplugged. Plug it in to test it, then unplug it. Keep the battery out.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Take out the hard drive and leave the drive bay empty. Can you access the RAM? How many sticks are installed? If there are two sticks, take one out and try booting up. If that doesn't work, then replace the one you took out and remove the other one. If that still does not work, do the same thing again, but but the sticks in the opposite slots that they were in.

Before you do this, make sure you remove the battery and have it unplugged. Plug it in to test it, then unplug it. Keep the battery out.

Hi Trevorever ,

I did everything you said and still wont turn on. At first I thought only Slot B worked but they both do it's just the power button thats a little wonky. You have to push it at least twice for it to work and all I get is lights that stay on for like 3 seconds then go out. I never hear the fan turn on so Im wondering if the motherboard that was purchased recently is bad. The customer replaced it because he was having problem with the power connection. He thought maybe the jack was bad. I have the original motherboard. I might try taking this one out , installing the old one and see what happens.

Edited by missfixit, 14 April 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Not a bad idea. While you are taking it apart, if it has a CMOS battery, pull that battery for a bit, then put it back and try to turn it on. If you have the same problem with the old board (minus a finickly power jack) disconnect everything you don't need from the motherboard (The only things you do need are processor, ram, and the board, and and leave the fan on at first, only disconnect it as last resort) and then see if it will turn on. It is possible there is a short in the power button too, so disconnect that and see if you can short out the power button connectors on the motherboard in order to turn it on.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Not a bad idea. While you are taking it apart, if it has a CMOS battery, pull that battery for a bit, then put it back and try to turn it on. If you have the same problem with the old board (minus a finickly power jack) disconnect everything you don't need from the motherboard (The only things you do need are processor, ram, and the board, and and leave the fan on at first, only disconnect it as last resort) and then see if it will turn on. It is possible there is a short in the power button too, so disconnect that and see if you can short out the power button connectors on the motherboard in order to turn it on.

Ok I did everything I said I would plus the CMOS battery and still got the same result from one of the motherboards. Come to find out one of the boards was bad. So I quickly changed boards and realized something , I discovered that the board for the power button wasnt completely attached. It was just barely seated in the socket. Once I pushed on it it went into place. So I plugged it in and wallah she booted up. No I have a hard drive error , which come to find out the customer gave me a bad hard drive. I tried putting in one I had but had a problem. I was able to boot up but it asked if I wanted to go into "safe mode" or boot up to windows normally. I tried both and it was like I would get a brief "blue screen" and then it would reboot. Any idea what that could be as I dont remember coming across anything like this before ?

Edited by missfixit, 17 April 2014 - 09:27 AM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

This is the hard drive that was originally in the computer, correct? You can make a Seatools disc to test it, but it does sound like it is failing.

missfixit

missfixit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

This is the hard drive that was originally in the computer, correct? You can make a Seatools disc to test it, but it does sound like it is failing.

Yep it was definitely the hard drive. I had the customer come back with a different one and wallah it worked.

Trevorever thank you so much for your help. I usually can get things figured out with computers (desktops but laptops a re a little harder since they are so small. Thanks again. Happy Easter  :spoton:

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
No problem, happy easter to you too.