Do you have Chrome set to synch ? As that should not return as your home page once it is removed
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A malware / Conduit Search - cannot completely re
Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:02 PM
I do have Sync Everything selected under Settings -> Advanced Sync Settings.
Should I Sync nothing? And if so, will re-enabling Syncing reintroduce the problem?
Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:12 PM
Disable sync and reset Chrome again.. Meanwhile I will check to see how you reset the sync
Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59 AM
Ok. I've disabled syncing and reset Chrome's browser settings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:00 AM
Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:43 PM
Great. I've deleted the sync data. I'm hoping that does the trick. Thanks.
Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:06 PM
Hmmm. Still seeing this.
As far as I can tell, I've disabled the Sync by signing out of my Google Account on the chrome://settings/ page. Now instead of an area with Sync on that page, I have a button to Sign in to my google account.
I then pressed the "Reset browser settings..." button under the Advance settings rollout.
I've also gone to https://www.google.c...tings/dashboard and have clicked the Manage Chrome Sync link. From that page, I've pressed the Stop and Clear button. I've then repeated the "Reset browser settings..." button from the Settings page.
Did I miss anything?
The only other device we use Chrome on is my iPad. Could the Conduit Search be residing on that device and then getting synced via Google Chrome? I just performed the Stop and Clear function on the iPad's Chrome app, but I'm not sure if that will help or not.
One thing of note is that even though I've supposedly disabled syncing, on the https://www.google.c...ngs/chrome/sync page (that's the link in which I can Stop and Clear my sync data) it says the following: Last time synced on Monday, April 21, 2014 at 8:40:42 PM UTC-4
That timestamp corresponds closely to the scan results below. Does running gmail on Chrome force syncing to occur? Other than gmail, we're otherwise not signed into a Google account.
Here is the Malware Bytes log:
Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:49 AM
Did you allow MBAM to reset the startup page
Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:22 PM
I'm unsure how to allow MBAM to reset the startup page. I quarantined the file in question, i.e. the PUP.Optional.Conduit.A file.
Incidentally, I found an interesting post relating to this: https://groups.googl...lQ/iHf3uSouEYgJ
The post by Lu suggests clicking the "Open a specific page or set of pages" and deleting the Conduit search from there. I found the startup URL there and cleared it out. I'll Reset my browser settings again and see if that does the trick.
Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:35 AM
I really must download Chrome at some stage and find my way around it
That should resolve the problem
Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:59 PM
Ok. Been problem-free for two days now. I'd say this is solved. Thanks for all your help!
Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:54 AM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users