Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion a1310n / loads xp and then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Did you finish swapping around the RAM?

Advertisements

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK I ran a memory diagnostics .It ran for 24 hours and went through over 200test loops with no errors.
I did a system speed test-ok.
Ran advanced diagnostics on the processor and motherboard-ok.
parallel ports and serial ATA test-ok.
maximum system load test for 10 minutes-ok.
ran a memory test for fast pattern and fast address.
The other memory tests were medium/heavy/bus throughput and code test. All passed
I am not giving up. But I need some help.
I tried the ram swap and it would not boot up.

Edited by chucksue, 25 April 2014 - 05:12 PM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Have you tried reseting the Bios to default?

Can you make a list of absolutely everything you have tried so far?

You should also check your motherboad for bad capacitors (the top bulges)

Right now I'm thinking that either it is something with the BIOS or a hardware problem and the only way to know for sure with the hardware problem is to swap out all the parts you can (different ram, hdd, and power supply)

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I tried the default bios and it did not help.

All the tests I have done are listed above.

The HDD is new. I don't have a power supply with the same number pins for the mother board.

I did have the screen come up twice with the windows logo and it was a pale view and not bright. I know the monitor is good because I use it on another computer.

I removed the CPU to check the sink grease and it was good.  I don't have a mother board to swap. I looked at the video boards that I have but none of them are the correct pins.

I am going to see how much a power supply will cost. The computer ran for 24 hours and didn't have any problems and that makes me think it is ok.

I also removed the dvd drive and turned it on but no change.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Yes, it kind of sounds like the power supply is ok, but you never know, sometimes they can cause weird issues. For example, Windows could be loading up a driver that allows it to use more function of some of the hardware and thus needs to draw more power.

Repair shops have such components in stock so they can test it, so it might be worth paying a diagnostic fee than ordering parts. I am surprised the other power supply you have is not compatible though.

Basically, you eliminate all possibilities until you reach the motherboard. (Usually excluding CPU)

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

When I hit f 10 during startup the computer will not respond. Any ideas?

My old supply are 10 pin Molex and the 1310 has a 12 pin connector for the motherboard.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Did it just start happening now that F10 stopped working?

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I got into f10 from the HP page. The computer will not go into recovery.
Since the hard drive is new there can't be a virus on it. Could there be something in the ram or on the motherboard?

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Ram clears itself after the computer is powered down. A BIOS infection is very rare and the one that is known to be in the wild does not act like this and only effects the Award BIOS. I would say it is more likely there is a hardware problem with the motherboard.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I finally made a disc with memtest and it is running. If the test is ok and it has passed 33 so far with no errors I can assume that the ram is ok. If that is the case I will look into finding a mother board. I hope the computer is worth the trouble.

Advertisements

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The memtest ran without any errors. I found a new motherboard on e bay any bought it.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

I hope it solves the problem

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
MOTHERBOARD FIXED THE COMPUTER. THE SOFTWARE FOR TROUBLESHOOTING THE BOARD FOUND NOTHING????????? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Good to hear. There are only certain parts/aspects of the board that software can test, so it is not too surprising that it tested OK.