Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shuts off

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running W7/64.  The problem I’m having with my PC is that it shuts off and restarts by itself, at least once a day and sometimes twice.  It has been doing this for about a month now.  I got a new PSU thinking that it could be the culprit but the problem  continues.  This morning it did the strangest thing.  I pressed the on/off button a few times and nothing happened.  It finally turned on the last try about a minute after I last pressed the button.  What can be causing this problem?  Any suggestion are appreciated……..   

Thank You

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Since the power supply has been replaced...

It may be the capacitors on the motherboard. They look like little tin cans. Do you see any that look like the bad ones in this video?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Lut7MX5Dd_A

When the computer doesn't turn on without several tries or you have to unplug and replug the power cable, it's often because these are failing. They will start to bulge. This usually means a motherboard replacement.

Is the computer turning off/rebooting or has that issue been resolved? That can be from a failing power supply or overheating. Are all of your fans working?

Edited by 98springer, 22 April 2014 - 11:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello rigs

Other possible causes include a faulty CPU cooling fan, a flaky case power or reset switch, the MB itself affecting the "power good signal" from the PSU and an incorrectly seated add on card or memory stick.

Please provide information about the computer hardware, this includes the brand and model name or number of any add on video card and PSU + how many HDDs and optical drives and any USB devices that may be connected to the computer.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, here’s my system’s info.  It’s dell inspiron 518 using W7/64.  One dvd-rw drive connected (with another disconnected)  one HDD, the video card tha came with my system, speakers, no memory card(sd) at the moment, and three USB ports occopied (keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter).  My PSU is a 430w corsair.

I don’t turn on or unplug my pc after it shuts down because it reboots itself.  My fans are working when on.  However, I do not know if they quit working causing my system to reboot.  Unless there’s a test to see if they’re malfunctioning.

As for the capacitators, I’m waiting for my cousin to help me check them.  I’m disabled and need help with that.  Will post once they’re checked.

I’m posting the info that I do know, at this moment………

Thank You……..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

While you wait on your Cousin to arrive, please download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us, details here

This will allow us to obtain the MB details and do some research.

From your OP;

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running W7/64.  The problem I’m having with my PC is that it shuts off and restarts by itself, at least once a day and sometimes twice.  It has been doing this for about a month now

Had you made any hardware or software changes just before the problem first began.

The reason why I ask the above question is because the Dell 518 shipped with 32 - bit Vista Home Premium as the pre installed OS, you are now running 64 - bit  W7 and so at some point the HDD may have been formatted to allow for a fresh installation, however the upgrade was done it is very important that the new drivers that were installed were done in the correct order, see here 

If the above is not related to the issue first becoming apparent, please ask your Cousin to check out the following for us first;

Other possible causes include a faulty CPU cooling fan, a flaky case power or reset switch, the MB itself affecting the "power good signal" from the PSU and an incorrectly seated add on card or memory stick.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

First of all my apologies for not responding sooner.  I finally had somebody check inside my PC.  While in the process of doing this, the problem of my computer of shutting  off and restarting.  It happened, again.  We noticed that this happened when some wiring were slightly bumped or moved.  So, we tighten and adjusted some connections.  Now, it has been three days without my PC shutting off.  I guess that my problem may be solved.  I’m sorry guys.  I should of have checked inside my PC before posting here.  So, I want to thank you for your suggestions, time and help.

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up rigs  :thumbsup:

Any further problems with the same issue feel free to come back to this thread and we will take a look.