Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I already messed up a clean install of windows 7!

• Please log in to reply

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just did a clean install of windows 7.  First thing I did was google search firefox and unknowingly clicked on an ad and started installing, then I realized what i was installing.  I then exited out and now Im getting errors.  I found a file called "instract.exe", also, and error poped up something about search conduit.  I did a scan with AVG, it found a few threats and removed but im still getting errors.  Please help, and thanks in advanced. 

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Jeffro2448,  :welcome: 

In you case, as it is a clean install, I would just start again and do another clean install otherwise, as you have found infection on the system, any help would have to be from the experts on the Mailware Removal Forum.   They are the only staff permitted to clean out infections.

Have you any Data files backed up?

Is this a custom built computer or a brand one like Dell or HP?

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

In you case, as it is a clean install, I would just start again and do another clean install ....

Agree 100%.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Deleted

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It is custom built. I have decided to get a new hard drive, so I would have to do another install again anyways.

Thanks for the help!!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem, thanks for the update :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday  Essexboy.

As Mailware Removal is no longer needed, Please move the topic back to Hardware Forum.

Jeffro2448

What type of HDD will you be getting?

Will you keep the existing one installed in the computer?

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Gday  Essexboy.

As Mailware Removal is no longer needed, Please move the topic back to Hardware Forum.

Jeffro2448

What type of HDD will you be getting?

Will you keep the existing one installed in the computer?

I'm thinking a western digital blue 1TB from new egg.  For $60 cant really beat the price.  I've had pretty good luck with WD.  *knocks on wood*

The HD it's replacing is probably 8 year old WD 80 gig.  So,yeah, i'd say its time for a new one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Good drive, alternative, Seagate ST1000DM003,  virtually no difference in performance.

Choice based on brand preference and price.

I use this site for researching prices. > http://pcpartpicker....000000&sort=a10

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Awesome!  Great site!  Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your Welcome :thumbsup:

Tip, Back up you Date.   Ensure you only have one HDD (your new drive) connected if you are doing a clean install of the OS. 

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello there. I'm having serious issues right now with the computer. I'll start from the beginning.

I have 2 hd's.

1 semi new WD 500G with win Xp installed, has been for years. This is my number one hd.

The other HD is an old WD 80Gig, it never gets used, until now, I used this drive to install win 7. So now I have XP on one drive and Win 7 on the other and now I can slowly migrate my files.

As you said above to ensure to have only one hd connected when I clean install win7, which I did not do. I did all win 7 security updates, then tried and failed the "net framework 4.0" update and it failed, I tried this a few times. Now win7 won't boot, it starts to boot and the blue screen flashes for a split second and then reboots. Tried to reinstall win7 and can't. Tried booting up winXP and it won't boot either. Can't even get into safe mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Jeffro2448

Couple of questions if I may while iammykyl is offline;

How are you trying to install Windows 7 as in from a downloaded ISO, a burned copy, OEM or full retail disk etc.

Is there any data on the 500GB HDD that you need to try and back up.

JFYI: An 80GB HDD would not be big enough for Windows 7 in the long term

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The win7 software is downloaded ISO on a USB drive. I boot to the USB drive to install win 7. I just did another clean install with the other HD and optical drive disconnected. It went real smooth. I'm just finishing critical updates. I do plan on getting another larger HD.

Jeffro2448

Jeffro2448

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Is it ok to have two different os on two different hd's. I figured it was. It seems, though, it's important to run only the one HD while installing!!

I was getting errors about bad sectors, chkdisc would alway run and find errors, etc. I downloaded western digital disc diagnostic and said the disk had failed. All sorts of weird stuff like the HD was going bad

Edited by Jeffro2448, 27 April 2014 - 12:19 PM.