Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving a shortcut to a WORD file to the Start tray

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Would someone please remind me how to place a shortcut to a specific WORD file into the Start area? Do I just  highlight the file in a MyComputer listing and then drag it to the Start area? I tried that and it did not work; what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean by Start Area? Are you talking about the area above the Start button or the Quick Launch area to the right of the Start button?

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Ztrucker: I meant the area to the right of the Start button -- is that the "quick launch" area ? But, now that you mention the area above the Start button -- what is that called? -- I'd like to know how to drag a file there too. Thanks much for your help. .... batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Ztrucker: As Gilder Radnor would say, "Never mind." I retried dragging the file to the area to the right of the Start button and it worked fine. I don't know what I did wrong the fist time, that prompted my query.  Thanks. ...batpark

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

If you drag with the right mouse button instead of the left, when you release the button you are given choices of the action to perform. One of them is to create a shortcut. This is what I use most of the time.

The area above the Start button is usually called the Start area or MRU (Most recently used) area. In Vista, 7 or 8 you can pin stuff there. I XP I think it's a dynamic area where the MRU stuff goes.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Thanks for the elaboration.  ...batpark