Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Option to Select Action after Inserting a DVD/CD

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I have set up my Windows 8.1 autoply feature so that after inserting a DVD/CD blank or with data on it, a window opens briefly in the top right hand corner of the screen asking me what I want to do.  For example, play with Windows Media Player. Play with Media Player Classic.  Burn with Nero.  And so on.)  This window appears for a few seconds and then disappears.  Is it possible to adjust the lenght of time that the window is visible, or to easily bring it back if it disappears? 

Also, what is the correct name for this window prompt?

Thanks.

Edited by Jackpine, 02 May 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi, autoplay and autorun can be funny chaps to deal with....
There's not a lot of information available about altering the time phases....

However take a look here:
http://www.thewindow...utoplay-windows
as this is a fairly comprehensive overview of the situation.

,The usual warnings apply here.... you must be aware of the need for and the steps to take to back up your system and particularly the Registry before trying to make any amendments to the Registry...

(Making a mistake whilst in the Registry can render your computer unbootable....
Regards
paws

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Hi paws,

I looked through the link and there was nothing new that I hadn't read before. Certainly nothing to do with being able to adjust the times that this window appears on the desktop. I'm beginning to think that this is not an option that can be adjusted by the user, and that the display time is deeply embedded in the OS without having any user access provision.

Now that I've used my new laptop for a few weeks, I'm aware of the window that appears asking what I want to do after I've inserted a disc, so I don't miss responding in time to make a choice. This is not really a problem, but I wanted to know if it was at all possible to adjust the display time.