Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google and Yahoo will not open in any browsers! [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I have an update that failed." Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Windows XP (KB2936068)".

Advertisements

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I tried Method A and I got the error again.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Windows XP (KB2936068)

Ok, thank you for letting me know. We'll address that after we try our next step. :)

Let's do a clean boot of Windows XP, and then try installing IE 8 once you have clean booted the machine. The link below will provide step by step instructions on the clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

ok, the clean boot got the same results.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I have an update that failed." Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Windows XP (KB2936068)".

Ok, I'm awaiting a response from one of our gurus. :) In the meantime, here's a link to the update that failed.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=42436

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

It seem like im having digital signature issues with everything I try to install. First the install fails then I have to install the certificate. The particular update that you had the link for failed also. the error I get is " KB2936068 Setup Error, ( The version of the internet explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install".)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello :)

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to refer you to our Web Browsers forum and see if they can solve the issue. I'm sorry I wasn't able to solve all of the problems. :(

I need to remove the tools I installed on your machine, and then I'll provide a link to the Web browsers forum. Again, I apologize.

Step 1: Tool Removal with Delfix
  • Download Delfix from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
    delfix.jpg
  • Click Run
The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply.

You can uninstall ESET Online Scanner at this time.

I recommend keeping Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed. Make sure to update it and run it at least once a week. If it finds things such as PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) you can delete those with no worries. However, if it finds something like a trojan, come see us.

Here's the link to the Web Browsers and Email forum: http://www.geekstogo...sers-and-email/

Also, here's a link to this topic so they can see what steps we have already taken to try and resolve the issue.

http://www.geekstogo...n-any-browsers/

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thanks anyway. You tried and I appreciate your help. I enjoyed working with you. Wish you had more to try. So what do I do, start another topic? Again , thank you

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Thanks anyway. You tried and I appreciate your help. I enjoyed working with you. Wish you had more to try. So what do I do, start another topic? Again , thank you

You're quite welcome, and I enjoyed working with you as well.  Let me get one of my former teachers to look at the thread and see if he has any suggestions before we close this one out.  He's offline, but will be on early in the morning.  Maybe he can help. :thumbsup:  Sound ok?  Because I really, really hate not finishing this and solving the problem. :)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hi, I received a response and this was suggested.  This is pretty much the last bullet in the gun.  If this doesn't resolved the issues, then a reformat/reinstall after getting your critical data off the machine is the only option left to end the issues.  Please let me know if this works, and if not, I'll be glad to assist you with a reinstall if you need my help. :thumbsup:

How To Repair Windows XP

Advertisements

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Consulting your teacher would have been fine. I'm open for anything. I saw the last post and the only problem is that I don't have a XP disk. The pc was given to me a good while ago and I really never had problems. The XP disc I brought When The software came out, I gave away. Are they expensive now?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Consulting your teacher would have been fine. I'm open for anything. I saw the last post and the only problem is that I don't have a XP disk. The pc was given to me a good while ago and I really never had problems. The XP disc I brought When The software came out, I gave away. Are they expensive now?

Ah, I see.  Well, I just took a look at Amazon and Ebay for OEM discs, and some of them are as cheap as $8.50 on Ebay, and some are more expensive.  The cheaper ones were found on Ebay.  Here's a link to the search results:

http://www.ebay.com/...XP OEM&_sacat=0

Tre1208

Tre1208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

ok. Does these come with the licensing Keys. Do you see one that you recommend . I'm anxious to get it to try you final steps.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

ok. Does these come with the licensing Keys. Do you see one that you recommend . I'm anxious to get it to try you final steps.

Some of the ones I see on Ebay say in the title that they come with a license key. However, with Windows XP no longer supported, you might consider upgrading to Vista or Windows 7. Since Microsoft has shut down support, we've seen an increase in infections in machines running XP.

There's also a new infection that's starting to show up a lot in XP machines called Blackbeard. If you wish to get the XP disc, I will be glad to assist you with it. But please consider upgrading, as XP's vulnerabilities will no longer be fixed. And once one is identified by the malware writers, Microsoft will do nothing to fix it.

Whatever route you decide to go, I'll be glad to help you with it. :thumbsup:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi :-)

Give this a go before you spend any money. Also, make sure you get any critical data off of the computer before doing this. Let me know how this goes. :thumbsup:

http://www.dell.com/...040AE0AB7E107E3