Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

really slow and scanners are not picking up anything

• Please log in to reply

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey Joe,

Things are looking good. I was hoping that all of this wasn't due to a hardware problem, but after following your instructions, my laptop is running much faster.

Out of all the free virus protection out there, do you think I'm fine with AVG, or do you think I should look into something else? It seemed like Hitman Pro was picking up some things that AVG didn't detect, but that was only a free trial version.

Thank you again.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I think AVG will be ok, none of the Anti Virus programs detect adware so well. It becomes a matter of safe surfing and watch what you download and where you download from.

When you get a moment please follow through with this on line scan, this scan may take a while.

ESET Online Scanner

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
  • Please go >>HERE<< then click on: ESET1st.jpg

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on the ESETexe.jpg icon to install.

All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: ESETsave.jpg
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: EOLS3.gif
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed make sure you first copy the logfile located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\Esetonlinescanner\log.txt).
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
  • Now click on: EOLS4.gif
    (Selecting Uninstall application on close if you so wish)
Please post the scan results.

Thanks
Joe :)

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Here is the log Joe. The online scanner said that there were 7 infected files. Why do you not want me to delete them?

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I need to see the files and where they are located, do you have them? The reason we ask not to delete them is that On-Line scanners can produce false positives.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

That was all of the information that was in the log.txt. The only reason I know about the infected files was because at the end of the scan it said that there were seven infections. Would you like me to run the scan again?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
If ESET said there were 7 infections, it should have created a log file and shown the infections and there locations so it's kind of odd here, ESET will also find stuff that has already been quarantined by OTL and other tools we used. It will also flag things in the downloads folder.

Go ahead an run the scan again.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I have my firewall and AVG disabled, but I am not able to run the online scanner again. It keeps stalling, even before I start the scan and the advanced options windows will not open all the way. I followed the directions on the link when it came to disabling my firewall and AVG.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I was able to get them using Firefox.

C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Install\CUninstallerZA.exe Win32/Toolbar.Conduit potentially unwanted application
C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Install\zatb.exe Win32/Toolbar.Montiera.I potentially unwanted application
C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\bulletspassview.zip a variant of Win32/PSWTool.BulletsPassView.C potentially unsafe application
C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\cbsidlm-cbsi188-Startup_Inspector_for_Windows-ORG-10291346 (1).exe a variant of Win32/CNETInstaller.B potentially unwanted application
C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\cbsidlm-cbsi188-Startup_Inspector_for_Windows-ORG-10291346.exe a variant of Win32/CNETInstaller.B potentially unwanted application
C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\bulletspassview\BulletsPassView.exe a variant of Win32/PSWTool.BulletsPassView.C potentially unsafe application
C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\05102014_175812\C_Users\Tim Fox\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ah5h88sh.default\extensions\[email protected] Win32/BrowseFox.B potentially unwanted application

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
The last file has already been moved by OTL, So the remaining 6 will go.

delete files
  • Copy all text in the quote box (below)...to Notepad.

@echo off
    rd /s /q "C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Install\CUninstallerZA.exe"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\bulletspassview.zip"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\cbsidlm-cbsi188-Startup_Inspector_for_Windows-ORG-10291346 (1).exe "
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\cbsidlm-cbsi188-Startup_Inspector_for_Windows-ORG-10291346.exe"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Tim Fox\Downloads\bulletspassview\BulletsPassView.exe"
    rd /s /q "C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Install\zatb.exe"
    del %0

• Save the Notepad file on your desktop...as delfile.bat... save type as "All Files"
    It should look like this: batfileicon.gif<--XPvista_bat_icon.png<--vista
  • Double click on delfile.bat to execute it.
    A black CMD window will flash, then disappear...this is normal.
  • The files and folders, if found...will have been deleted and the "delfile.bat" file will also be deleted.
Thanks
Joe

Let me know when that is done, we can leave the thread open for a while. We still will need to clean up with OTL too

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Okay Joe, I'm ready for the next step when you are.

Advertisements

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I don't know what is going on Joe. It keeps on freezing and I have to manually turn it on and off again in order for the laptop to run properly. This usually happens when I am online, or if I have been using it for more than an hour. Do you think this could be a hardware problem? If so,  how can I check that out?

Thank you for your time.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Try using System File Checker,
System File Checker merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
Open an Elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, then type cmd in the Start Search box. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

At the command prompt, type the following command, sfc /scannow and then press ENTER.

sfcscan.png
The scan may take some time to complete. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If required, Windows may prompt you to insert the Operating System CD.

Let me know if that finds any problems that it could not fix, if everything is alright the scan will come back and say "No Integrity issues found"

Thanks
Joe :)

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.