Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating drives on Windows 8 for free

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I have been on a search for free driver updates for my graphics hardware on my pc but here are the difficulties so far:

1. I cant even locate what needs to be updated - where do I find ALL of my graphics cards/hardware in one spot?
2. Everytime I think I have found a brilliant online tool to do the diagnosing and finding outdated drivers.....they then want to charge me money to do it. I am not a scrooge but I paid big money for the pc and so they should at least update my drivers for free.
3. I have Windows update turned on and so why doesnt it automatically update hardware all the time?

Help needed, thanks.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

You should download the drivers from the Manufacture support page if it's a Laptop, if you have a Desktop with a dedicated graphics card download the driver from the website for the graphic card brand.

To get more specific help post the brand and model of the machine and also if it's a desktop or laptop.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I have a HP Envy Laptop

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Your drivers should be Here

Thanks
Joe

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I have a HP Envy Laptop

What is the full model number?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

how do i find that

The link provided was for windows 7 only.....?

Edited by ding dong, 12 May 2014 - 04:18 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

yes.....how can i get the full model number?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

On the bottom of the laptop there should be a sticker or plate with the make and model.

HP Envy is the Manufacturer and make. The Envy models models location can be found HERE

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

No sticker.....surprisingly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Strange as that page was the Envy laptops. Is there no molded number on the case at all or a model number that shows up when you boot up?

You could also look under the control panel or right click on My Computer and go to properties.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

No sticker.....surprisingly?

The specific information for HP machines can be found here.

Most likely the information is Inside the battery compartment.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Strange as that page was the Envy laptops. Is there no molded number on the case at all or a model number that shows up when you boot up?

You could also look under the control panel or right click on My Computer and go to properties.

Yes it is an envy laptop but when I right click my computer and go to properties....none of the tabs say anything about the computer name or model?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Go HERE and on the right side you will see a Find Now button next to Detect My Product.

Click that button and see if it will identify your model number and any drivers that may be needed.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

hmmm, its asking to install product so it can detect....i dont like it as I recently uninstalled hp stuff which mucks with 8 all the time...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK lets try a different way.

Please download Winaudit. Once downloaded then follow these steps to generate a HTML report and attach it to your next reply.
The report will most likely be to big to attach so I will include instructions on how to compress the file by zipping it.

•    Double click on the Winaudit.exe file
•    Next you will see a window like the one in Figure 1 below that says, To Audit Your Computer Click Here. Click Here
•    When the program is done auditing your computer you will get a new screen like the one in Figure 2 below.
•    Click on the Blue Save button and make sure it is saved as HTML and save to your Desktop for easy reference in the next steps.
•    Now you will need to compress the file using the windows built in zip program.
•    Right click on the saved file on your desktop and then scroll down to Send To
•    Click on Compressed(zipped) Folder and use the Default settings
•    Save the file to the Desktop

In your next reply please attach the new Zip Folder with the HTML file you just made.