Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Last Known Good Configuration?

• Please log in to reply

Iceendz

Iceendz

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
If I press f8 at the windows start up screen and choose to boot from the last known good configuration will it erase or remove anything permantly?

Also is it safe to use those registry fix programs and things?

How do I format my harddrive, Ive tried just going to my computer and right clicking and clicking format on the drive but it says a it might still be in use.

Edited by Iceendz, 09 June 2005 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

djw2009913

djw2009913

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Last known good configuration restores windows settings to its last known good configuration, ive used it before and it hasnt deleted anything that i knew of but it could, im not sure. As far as the registry cleaners and fixers, i use one myself called registry mechanic. I havent had any problems so far and it works great. Every once and a while you hear of someone that blames a computer problem on a registry utility. If you want to be really safe you should back up your computer and only use known utilites.

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks I finally got my dam pc to boot up and I think the cause of the freezes during windows start up was my usb hub when its unplugged i can boot windows without it freezing. So ive gotta figure out why that happens now.

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
After getting my pc to boot i d/l registry mechanic and did a scan and it found 260 problems I'll post if it helped my boot up problems later on.

Iceendz

Iceendz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The true cause to all my pc problems was a worn out power supply it wasnt giving enough power to all my stuff and was sorta power things on and off a little. So its all fixed now after replacing that. Plus the registry mechanic i think sorta helped speed the pc up a little to what it should be.

djw2009913

djw2009913

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Glad to hear.

Space-Man

Space-Man

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yea, don't be afraid of using last known good configuration because i don't think that it will ever delete anything on your computer :tazz: