Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post "Windows XP Repair Install" software download problems.

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

This week I did an XP Pro "Repair Install" on my pc.  However several problems have arisen pertaining to software downloading, intallations and use.

1. I tried to do a speed test as per http://www.speedtest.net which I received from www.geekstogo and I received a message that program encountered a problem and needs to close.

2.  This afternoon I tried to install HP software from installation disc and received this message.  "hpqsenvw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  It gives opton of clicking on debugging or exit.  Trying to debugg does nothing at all.  Details on this file are as follows:

File.  hpqsenvw.exe

Modname: urlmon.dll

3.  I have been also without luck trying to re-install Nero 7 Ultra using software disc.  Version is 7.9.6.0 but the installation still gets interrupted with message that it cannot continue.

I have been trying to evaluate if the problem lies with my pc or with the software discs, or even my CD/DVD drive.

This morning I did a file checker on pc, utilising Run>CMD Enter>SFC /scannow, but that revealed nothing either

Please adivise.

Regards and thanks for the good job being done on this site over the years.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

After the XP Pro "Repair Install" did you update Internet Explorer? and also installed all the Windows Updates?

How about your Antivirus program did you remove it before the repair and reinstall after?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

After the Repair Install, you definitely need to install Service Pack 3 and 130 to 160 updates. It's a long, boring process but necessary.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Just finished SPE Wizard and received this popup:

Instruction at 0x7ele37b4 referred memory a 0x00000000 could not be written

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

CORRECTION:  Should have read SP3

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What version of IE is currently active? If it's IE6, download and install IE8 then try SP3 again.

Start here: http://windows.micro...ds#2TC=featured

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Cannot download and install IE8 successfully.  Could this be a problem within the registry with Windows Installer?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What happens when you try to download it?

What happens when you  try to install it?

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

As to my experience, when the Windows degrades to the point, when we get annoyed with its glitching so much, that we decide to DO something, best thing is not "Repair Install", but formatting disk C and clean new install. If previous Windows was in someway "misbehaving", just try different one with good reputation. 

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

When I tried to download IE6 or better I am taken to Microsoft site, but then I get message that "website is not currently available" and that's as far as I get, unless I could try and download it from www.filehippo.com, which I havent tried yet.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Download IE8 from here: http://www.microsoft...-8-details.aspx

You can do this on another computer, place on a flash drive and install it that way.