Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recycle bin

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Would someone please remind me how to see the contents of my XP recycle bin? I do not see Recycle Bin in the listing of folders under My Computer\C:.  How come?

Thank you.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello batpark,

C:\RECYCLER, it's a hidden Protected Operating System folder. Open My Computer and click on Tools | Folder Options. Then open the View tab. UNCHECK 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'. Then open C:\ and you should be able to see C:\RECYCLER.

The re-hide Protected Operating System Files.

Joe

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

jackmcalister, zep 516: Thank you both for your help. I am obviously confused.

zep, like 10,000 other things re XP, I had not known about Recycler as a Hidden file; I will not fool with it.

jackm: I followed your directions but note that nothing changed on my Recycle bin settings after clicking the "restore defaults" buttons. Should they not have changed to whatever the default vales are? Also, will you please clarify "Just make sure that the Recycle bin is checked." Where do I find the box that should be checked?

If I click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop, I get a screen titled Recycle Bin. Isn't there a way on that screen to see what files are in the Bin? That seems so logical; whatever else is that screen supposed to do?

It seems to me, in the past, that -- after I have deleted several files and sent them to the Bin-- I <<do>> see a list of the Bin contents (and am asked to confirm I really want to delete them).  But when I now delete a file(and confirm that I want to send it to the BIn) and then click on the Bin icon, I do NOT see that file listed. Have I inadvertently screwed up some settings?