Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mercy death and upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

btphelps

btphelps

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a system I use for work and it's getting really slow. It's an Acer MB running Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @2.66GHs with 4 GB RAM running Windows 7 Professional. I use it for writing (Word, Framemaker), web development (Dreamweaver), and graphics development (Photoshop and Illustrator).

I bought the system in December 2011. Of course it's accumulated a bunch of programs over the years. Yes, it's a teeeny bit old. At times it mysteriously slows waaay down, and nothing happens for 5 - 10 - 15 + seconds. I try to open a file and wait and wait and wait. I'm tempted in those moments to open the CD drawer, shove in my shotgun, and put it out of its -- no, my -- misery. 

I also have a second system, an Intel Core i5 3570K @3.40Ghz with 4MB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium built in 2009. My sons use this for games and homework. 

Your input please. Should I --

A) switch systems with my son's computer, or
B) wipe the disk on my slow system and start afresh, or
C) just upgrade to a new system?

If upgrade, do you have any recommendations, like a minimum of 8 GB memory? FYI, when I get a new system, I usually economize and I don't buy the highest end new components.  

Thanks for your input. 

Brian

Advertisements

Agent Shark

Agent Shark

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

IF you choose the upgrade path, I'd recommend 8gb of ram as a minimum. It seems to me that your programs require a lot of ram usage and CPU. Personally, I like to upgrade computers every 2 years to keep up to date. I always keep a backup hard drive for the content on the older computer.

Once I upgrade, I use the old machine for tedious work or work that I do on the side.

Regards,

Agent Shark

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

A little more information about your system would enable us to better determine if an upgrade is worth the $s.   Please download and run Speccy, no personal information is gathered or displayed.

https://www.piriform...wnload/standard

https://www.piriform...file-to-the-web