Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

30m Ethernet run

• Please log in to reply

Staffee

Staffee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on a issue I have. I have run a 30m ethernet run from my modem/router underneath the house down to the garage where I am currently setting up my office. I have checked and rechecked my connections even bridging out pairs at each end to make sure I get the same resistance at the other end. The wiring is the same at both ends and all the cables check out but when I attach a computer or router in the garage it doesn't work. Things I have noticed as I am using a old siemans speedstream modem/router is that if I plug the network cable straight out of the router to the garage the port led's blink slowly and together - I get no service at the other end. If I plug it through another router before sending it down the garage the leds blink correctly though the computer in the garage recognises it is connected to a network with limtied or no connectivity to the internet. If I plug the router in at the garage before the computer the router complains it gets no ip address. Do you think the issue is in the wiring or do I need to upgrade to a better router/hub/switch? Thanks in advance - Staffee - (running good quality cat 5e cable and using cat 6 plugs)

Edited by Staffee, 26 May 2014 - 02:20 AM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi
30m should be fine, but remember that this cable can be subject to interference from outside sources.... X ray machines, power cables etc....
Have you tried with the Modem router at your house, then the 30 m cable to your office and then a switch at the office end and with your computer plugged into the switch?

If this set up doesn't work then there is something wrong and you need to check out each component
Regards
paws

Staffee

Staffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have reterminated and still same result - checked patch cables individually all working. strange that I get some response when I plug the modem/router into another router before sending to the garage - it is a old modem/router g type adsl only - never upgraded because adsl 2 is not available in my area - I have purchased a lan tester from ebay but I am sure it is not a wiring issue as I have tested with a ohm meter and tested the pin outs. I get around 13ohms resistance drop for a 30m run which I would assume would be right as they are pretty thin cables anyhows. Frustrated to say the least as have been on this issue all day lol....

Staffee

Staffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Funny enough It looks like it is the keystones unfortunately as I just got it working - but not through the keystone connector. What I did is I made 2 male leads and paralleled the other end to the punchdown on the back of the keystone - then connected the male connectors to my router and other end to the laptop and it fired up straight away. Even if I got the colour code wrong which I am sure I didn't as long as I had both keystones wired identical the colour code should not matter as it is a straight through connection. (also if I take the patch cable out of the laptop and try and plug another back into the keystone either end I lose my network - Strange... Maybe I should look at the female to female connector keystone but I don't know if it would fit in a standard electrical mounting block which is mounted on a brick wall by the time I fit the cable / Male RJ45 then female to female connector then try and mount the faceplate back on the mounting block....Thanks for your help as I had eliminated almost everything except for the keystones and even ordered a lan tester off ebay which now I don't really need lol but will come in handy for future uses I am sure....

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Good to hear you fixed it

Well done!

:thumbsup:

Regards

paws