Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not load, all option safe mode... end up at a black scr

• Please log in to reply

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I think I changed the order to read from the cd drive when I was tying to use the system repair disk - I am not sure how I did that.

Advertisements

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I do not think there is anything to be saved from the machine.  I'll check again with my brother tomorrow and I would like to read the article on Puppy Linux Link.  I found the answer to my question on booting from the CD, but I am still curious about the bios.  I've never seen a system with drives E,X,D, & F.

Kathy

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Double check to make sure that the 1st order of boot is set for the CD drive. Also double check to make sure that boot order is saved. Could be a reason why the Repair disc did not work. Start the computer, insert the Repair disc into the cd drive, then reboot again. Cross your fingers that it boots into the repair disc.

You could also try one of the many restore points that are listed in the FRST log:

==================== Restore Points =========================

Restore point made on: 2014-03-21 00:12:40
Restore point made on: 2014-03-21 01:08:44
Restore point made on: 2014-03-23 15:31:28
Restore point made on: 2014-03-23 16:52:59
Restore point made on: 2014-03-24 01:25:01
Restore point made on: 2014-03-24 01:27:23
Restore point made on: 2014-03-24 01:44:24
Restore point made on: 2014-03-25 00:35:56
Restore point made on: 2014-03-26 01:41:07
Restore point made on: 2014-03-28 00:12:00
Restore point made on: 2014-03-28 00:15:14
Restore point made on: 2014-03-28 00:48:09
Restore point made on: 2014-03-30 10:04:18
Restore point made on: 2014-03-30 16:18:33
Restore point made on: 2014-04-04 23:39:13
Restore point made on: 2014-04-05 01:59:24
Restore point made on: 2014-04-05 06:11:47
Restore point made on: 2014-04-05 10:25:55

Let me if any of those work.

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I made sure the first order for boot was the cd drive.  It then did read the repair disc and failed:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automaticaly

Problem Signature

Event Name   Startup Repair Offline

Problem Signature01  6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature02  6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature03  Unknown

Problem Signature04  21200152

Problem Signature05  Auto Fail over

Problem Signature06  6

Problem Signature07  No Root Cause

OS Version                  6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID                     1033

I then brought up 3 options

A.  I need help immediately

Microsoft restore

System Recovery

Minimize Image Recovery

B. Did a check disc from the C command prompt - but data went by so fast I could not read it.

It also did a memory check.

I chose A for Microsoft restore.

I tried every one of the restore dates and each gave the same message

System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer systems files and settings were not changed.

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore 0x80070057.

I talked to my brother.  There are no files or photos on the system he wants to save.  It is ok to do a system recovery.  We do have the discs to reinstall Microsoft Office.  After recovery is there a way to reduce the amount of time (or control) how many updates occur each setting.  Is there a 'service pack'.  Should I proceed with the recovery from the hard drive?  (F drive I gather is the recovery partition).

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Sorry for the gap in time.  This computer had internet connection problems for 3 days.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kathy,

Sorry for the delay. Let's see if the following works:

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt

Next:
  • In the command prompt window type in dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions exactly as is with spaces and press Enter.
Once that task is complete, please go back to the instructions found in Post #11 and try the sfc /scannow again. If it works, run it a second time. It could take 2-3 times to correct corrupt system files which I am starting to believe are the results of a corrupt Windows Update and not an infection.

Please keep me informed to the results......

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

When I go into the command prompt, it is sitting at "X:\windows\system32".  Is this where I should be executing the commands from?  I do not remember my DOS very well.  After typing the following

dism.exe (one space) /image:C:\/cleanup-image (one space) /revertpendingactions

I received:

Deployment Image Servicing & Management Tool

Version 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 2

Unable to access the image

Make sure the image path and windows directory for the image exist and you have read permission

The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\logs\DISM\dism.log

Running sfc scannow responds:

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

What now?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
There are 3 spaces in the command. You found 2 of them. See below for 3rd space.

dism.exe (one space) /image:C:\(one space)/cleanup-image (one space) /revertpendingactions

Try that and let me know the results...... :)

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Error 87

DISM does not recognize the command line option "cleanup-image".

p.s. there was no "result.txt' file on the flash drive.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yeah. Ignore that result.txt thing. When I experimented with FRST in my system recovery, I had forgot to delete a log that was the result of another tool. Geesh! Talk about feeling dim witted! :lol:

Let me do some more research/thinking here. I've never come across Error 87 before. Would like to find out what would cause the error.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kathy,

After indepth research, I believe that restoring the laptop to factory condition is the best way to go in this case. We could be troubleshooting with here try this, and here try that till the cows come home. So, to cut to the chase, let's proceed with the inevitable:

Reboot the laptop and begin tapping the F11 key. This should bring up the Recovery Manager. Different HP models will have different Recovery Manager screens, though it will be similar to this screen.

Choose Factory Reset or System Recovery found under I need help immediately and follow the onscreen prompts. If you are given the choice to perform a destructive recovery, please do so. This will wipe the drive so everything will be lost.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I'm working today.  I'll try the recovery later this evening - about 8 hours from now and I'll let you know how it goes.  I agree with we could go on forever testing and I also agree that I think it was a 'bad' Windows update.  That DISM revertpending would have been great if it worked.  Later Kathy

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

That DISM revertpending would have been great if it worked.

Oh, I agree! I think the command failed for you because the command is looking for the image on the c:\ drive and it is not there because while the computer is booted into System Recovery, the drives are not the same as they are in normal mode. There are a couple more commands that could be used to find out how which drive the system is found on while in System Recovery then we'll need to exchange the drive letter c:\ to the drive letter that the command found so we can direct the command to look for the image on the correct drive.

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Then again, if it doesn't/didn't work out, our efforts would have been fruitless and another day will have passed and the laptop would still be booting into limbo land. The easy way out is to restore to factory condition. The other way is to see if the other commands work to revert the pending action, hence, reboot to Error Recovery screen.

If you want to take the time to try it, let me know. If you need the computer up and running by tomorrow, restoring to factory condition is the way to go.

khphoto1

khphoto1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

That DISM revertpending would have been great if it worked.

Oh, I agree! I think the command failed for you because the command is looking for the image on the c:\ drive and it is not there because while the computer is booted into System Recovery, the drives are not the same as they are in normal mode. There are a couple more commands that could be used to find out how which drive the system is found on while in System Recovery then we'll need to exchange the drive letter c:\ to the drive letter that the command found so we can direct the command to look for the image on the correct drive.

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Then again, if it doesn't/didn't work out, our efforts would have been fruitless and another day will have passed and the laptop would still be booting into limbo land. The easy way out is to restore to factory condition. The other way is to see if the other commands work to revert the pending action, hence, reboot to Error Recovery screen.

If you want to take the time to try it, let me know. If you need the computer up and running by tomorrow, restoring to factory condition is the way to go.

I would like to learn how to find the drive letter and give it a try.  I do not need the computer up and running tomorrow and I do like to learn.  Would you send me the instructions please.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
YES! I was hoping you would say that. :happy: :lol: I do hate to give up till all resources have been exhausted!!

Let's first try the command I posted above, though this time we will replace C:\ with D:\, so the command to type into the command prompt would look like this:

dism.exe /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Enter System Recovery through Repair your computer as we have been doing all along then click on Command Prompt. Carefully type the command in and press Enter.

The results should include all the folders you normally have seen on the Local Disk C: before the crash.

I need to shut down for the night, though I will check in before I head off to work in the morning.

I've got my fingers crossed!! :yes: