Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I stop Firefox reminder to back up my files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

With a new update to Firefox, I get a message on my desktop every couple of hours "reminding" me to back up my files with Firefox.  I don't want to do this.  Is there a setting I can change to stop this reminder from popping up?

Attached Files

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Denisejm,

You positive this is Mozilla Firefox doing this,i never saw this before, i have version 29.0.1 the newest. ?

Might be a pop-up, make sure you have them blocked, try ADBLOCK a Mozilla add-on works well, do a search in firefox's add-ons for it.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi jds,

I assumed it was Mozilla Firefox causing the pop-up because as soon as I installed it, the message starting popping up.  The name of the file is "mozilla firefox setup".  It has no version in the name. 

I think its "maintenanceservice" that came with the program that's causing the pop-up.  I checked not to install it during "advanced" installation though.

Maybe I should uninstall and install a different version?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I just ran SpyBot S&D and it found 3 problems.  I posted a screenshot of the results.  I'm going to delete them and see if they come back.  If they do, I'll start a new post under the Virus/Trojan topic.

Attached Files

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Denisejm,

You are infested with adware. It would be in your best interests to follow the instructions in this topic, beginning at Step 2. and once OTL has been downloaded and the 2 logs are generated, please start a new topic in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, including the OTL.txt and the Extras.txt logs and one of our experts will be with you as soon.

Thank you kindly,
Donna :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thank you DonnaB, that would of been my next option to tell this member to go to Maleware removal team.

This Pop-up seemed odd to me.

There is a way also to remove Mozilla maintenance program if you do not want it. Go to program and features and remove it there through windows uninstaller.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Hi jds63,

You're welcome! :)

Denisejm did point out that she would delete them and if they came back she would start a new topic in the Removal forum, but what most users don't realize is that even if your security software deletes PUP's, adware, browser hijackers, etc., etc. they do leave behind residual files and folders that lurk in the background and they take special tools to remove.

The attachment of the pop up in her first post originates from MyPCBackup, which is software that is bundled along with free software that users download. A majority of bundled foistware just sits there after it being downloaded, praying for you to find it and use it, such a optimizers and scanners. Many schedule themselves to run on startup and schedule scans. Pretty aggressive, far as I am concerned, especially if they can cause damage to the file system.

Your answer was spot on.  :spoton:

Donna :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks Donna, for a sec. i thought i accidently answered a maleware thread. :oops:

I new this was a pop-up and not Firefox, why i first suggested adblock plus which works great for me, but did not recognize the type of pop-up it was.

Mozilla all in all is pretty good with pop-ups unlike IE.

Yes, these types of pop-ups you mention i have seen before offering to scan your system for ant-virus or new drivers some may fall for it, oh,also updating your adobe flash .

So far it matters where you visit and what you download that will make this occur for u.

GOOD LUCK HELPING the op

Edited by jds63, 29 May 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

thanks for responding and for your help.  Spybot s&d was able to remove the threats it found but i do know that the the Firefox program could have slipped in some things that are unwanted.  I don't remember where i downloaded it from and i did uncheck the box for "Maintenance" at the time of install.  MyPCBackup was never an option to not install.

I have a busy day today but I'll run OTL and start a new topic in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum very soon.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes you need to do this as to make sure all adware and spyware is gone. Mozilla should only be downloaded from there site and nowhere else. MyPCBackup must be from something you click on browsing or installed.

No, Firefox did not do this. You can go to Program and Features and look for Mozilla Maintenance program and uninstall it if you are unsure you have it or not.

All this does is update it for you in the backround, but is also a start-up on your PC.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Malware topic has been created here. This thread will now be closed.

:)