Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Javascript

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

How can i diagnose if my Javascript is up to date and working correcty?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

This program will automatically uninstall old versions of Java and install the latest.

Ensure that you have the latest Java with this lovely tool that automates the process for you.
http://ahp.li/eb72bcaec59e5c3e8953.exe

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I received a log report and it is as follows:

JavaUpdate (Pierre13)
Report of 30\05\2014 à 09:31:20
PC of Wayne
Version of Windows : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)

Latest version  7 Update 60
No version of Java installed
Latest version Java  7 Update 60 installed !
Automatic update of Java disabled.

End of report.

The report is on the desktop : C:\Documents and Settings\Wayne\Desktop\Rapport_JavaUpdate.txt

Why does it say "Automatic update of Java disabled" and what does it mean to me.?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Means that the auto update of java is disabled, you need to manually check for the updates...

How is your machine other than that any issue with java?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Lots of problems being looked at by others at the present time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Java is deemed a security risk and you should not use it/have it installed unless any particular website/s that you often visit will not function without it, you are also at more risk when running the now unsupported Windows XP, see article here

If you absolutely must have Java installed disable it when it is not in use.

I note that you have various ongoing topics waynf however I suggest that you check that the computer is free of malware, you may need the assistance of the experts on the malware forums for this but first of all can I ask you to refer to the GTG malware redirection information below, please note that if you do need to start a topic on the malware forums it is most important that you notify those that are helping you with your present topics and in turn the security expert/s on the malware forum should you need to start a topic there;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I am currently partaking in an on-line course where I have to insert answers and it wasnt' allowing me to type and cursor wouldn't blink on the form, and the site advised me to check if my javascript was enabled and functioning properly.  That's how this all came about.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Fully understand, I hope that you take my input to your topic with the intent that it was meant, XP and Java are both susceptible to malware attack, I for my part have made you aware of this and I can only leave it at that, you will find that the cost of upgrading to a new OS is far less expensive than having your banking and personal details obtained without your knowledge, this if your computer is capable of running Windows 7 and onwards btw. JavaUpdate (Pierre13)

Please note that what I have post here is independant of influence, I am not in the employment of and do not endorse any product in any way, it is entirely your decision whether or not you follow the malware redirection guidance that I offered and whichever way you opt to go I wish you well.

JFYI: Java and JavaScript are two entirely different software, Java is the one not favoured but JavaScript is an intrinsic part of Windows IE, see here

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Javascript is not the same as Java.

Javascript is supported by each Web Browser, it's not something you install or update. In most cases you can disable it via browser settings, but that's it.