Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware check requested [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"Was the BSOD after the reboot ?" No, before. I rebooted after the BSOD, nothing since so far. It happened about twenty minutes after installation, I hadn't even opened up a browser I was doing other things. I could hear what sounded like a scan going on, but the post installation scan had already completed I think, it wasn't showing on screen anymore. Another message above.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm curious, the choice at then end of the day is yours however, if it does not occur again I would tend to leave it for now

So far no problems with my SP4. I am now going to give it a few reboots to test that part

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, I'll see what happens when I turn off and boot up again.

Getting ready for F8 Safe Mode.

"So far no problems with my SP4. I am now going to give it a few reboots to test that part"

That's good to hear.

So it appears that my Windows Updates service is now working, but Microsoft Updates aren't any longer for XP. :(

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 01:12 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep as the updates that I received were for XP (pos) this is a sneaky way of still getting security updates :)

Still running smoothly (well for XP anyway)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"Yep as the updates that I received were for XP (pos) this is a sneaky way of still getting security updates"

Yes :) .........you've done well today, thank you for reporting back to me.

No further incidents as yet.

This is what I've done following advice here: http://support.micro...kb/156669/en-gb (applies to XP Professional +, I can't find any similar Microsoft articles for XP Home Edition, which I have):

Tried to set up Dr. Watson to trap user-mode program errors:

"System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

UPDATE

Run Drwtsn32.exe, it is already set to:

Append to existing log file
Create crash dump
Visual Notification

Don't always get a notification though, today included. Will run it if another BSOD occurs and see what I can make out. There's been nothing in BlueScreenView (no mini dumps) from the last few BSODs.

Looked in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, found Winlogon - Default - (value not set) - think that's what I was supposed to look at, lots of entries there, that was at the top.

Pressed F8 pre boot up > Advanced Boot Options Menu, selected Last Known Good Configuration and pressed enter. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 14 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
From my point of view SP4 appears to functioning quite nicely, no errors or problems observed

Continue to monitor, mayhap the tidying up helped :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"From my point of view SP4 appears to functioning quite nicely, no errors or problems observed"

Pleased to hear it. :)

I wanted to let you / your colleagues know exactly what I've done in case I need to pursue the BSOD issue.

No further occurrences as yet, Avast still installed.

I will continue to monitor and come back with an update.

Btw I love this emoticon: :rofl:

Edited by scarlet.rose, 15 June 2014 - 05:56 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would suggest that you continue with Phil now. However, from what I have seen the XP update page is now closed for retail versions of XP. This is based on the inability for it to work for me before I installed the unofficial SP4 (which includes elements of supported XP systems and "fools" the website into believing it is that version)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, well the malware query has been completely dealt with now hasn't it.

The tidying up did help.

I've learnt a lot from you guys at Geeks to Go.

You've all been a great help.......>>>>>>>

Thorough, methodical and efficient.

Thank you VERY much Essexboy. :thumbsup: 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

My pleasure, at least you know the system is clean :wave:

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I was pleased to hear that my computer is at present clean.

All is so far running very well, very smoothly, Avast still installed, no incidents to report. :)

Just going to report back to Phil.

:wave:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hello Essexboy,

phillpower2 has referred me to you for your thoughts on this:

Yesterday I installed the Internet Explorer critical update from May 1st 2014:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8 
(2964358)

Remote Code Execution

Critical

None

from here: https://technet.micr...y/ms14-021.aspx

Now whenever I try to open Internet Explorer 8, it opens then immediately shuts down and a Yahoo file download box opens:

"Do you want to save this file?

Name: uk_yahoo_com.htm

Type: Firefox HTML Document

Security Warning: The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download."

?

Internet Explorer was functioning normally before.

In Event Viewer only:

NtServicePack

Window XP Hotfix KB2964358-IE8 was installed

Nothing else to note

:(

Is there a place where you can report Microsoft Updates issues? I know support for XP users has ended, but this particular update was rolled out to XP users post April 8th 2014 as an exception. This problem might affect others in the future.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you uninstall the update and see if IE reverts back to normal ? Also I haven't checked but is Yahoo your main page ?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Little apprehensive about uninstalling it. Before I installed it, I was told to back up my system. I saw it was removing old files, will they come back? Also what will I do afterwards without the critical update / protection?

Yes, Yahoo is my main page.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To me it appears that the Yahoo main page is being misreported to IE

An alternative would be to go to Control Panel > Internet options and set the main page to www.Google.com and try again