Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Crashes and Restarts

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Hello.  Just a couple of days ago I started experiencing (what seems like) random crashes, restarts, and freezes.  As I am working on the computer (internet or applications) I can see it seems to slow down a little and give the "hour glass" freeze or if I am gaming "Call of Duty: Ghosts" it will crash and I will have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the task manager to stop the game process to get back to desktop.  I ran memtest86 and formatted it to USB to check my memory.  Everything checked fine after it ran its test for 30min and gave "No erros" as a result.  What I am thinking is that either my hard drive is becoming unstable and about to go or malware.  Here are some pics below of things I have gotten when it has crashed or BSOD as well as the speccy link.  Hope that helps as you guys/gals always seem to be the PC gurus.

http://speccy.pirifo...blyB1cvSuwJrCSu

Thanks in Advance,

CW

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140608_101007.jpg
  • 20140608_101130.jpg
  • 20140608_101219.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello TeachPower

The +5V rail on the PSU is shown to be low in Speccy and needs to be checked out, the +5V rail btw supplies the video card slot among other things.

Please post the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Check to see if there are any crash dumps available;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Here is what you asked for.  There was only one dump file so that is all there is in the zip.

*Note: The Speedfan temp values alternate from green check 37 to the red arrow 44 as I was monitoring it.  About half of the time they are green and vice versa.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by TeachPower, 10 June 2014 - 02:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your PSU readings are out of wack, the CPU is getting hot + there is only one cooling fan reading which is at 70 rpm, post the requested HWMonitor screenshot for us while I check out the crash dump.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

HWmonitor

Attached Thumbnails

• HWmonitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

HWMonitor also shows that the +5V rail is low, not only does this supply the video card slot but also the HDD, see attachment below, your crash dump suggests issues with the HDD (see below) with one of the possible causes being related to a bad PSU.

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000185 - The I/O device reported an I/O error.

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c0000185

I asked in my reply #2

Please post the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

Can you provide this information.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Sorry bout that.  The PSU is a Rosewill and the model number is RD400-2SB.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the PSU details  :thumbsup:

The PSU is not the best of brands for quality, performance or reliability and this is reflected in the minimal one year warranty that is provided, specs here the PSU when new would just about cover the minimum power requirements of your video card but could not be relied upon long term, please see the links in my sig for further information.

Suggestions, disconnect any additional storage devices that are not in use (to ease the load on the PSU) back up any important data on the HDD, download and run the Hitachi drive fitness test from here and swap out the present PSU for a known good 450W or above PSU that has a minimum of 20 amps on the +12V rail.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Thanks phill.  I thought it was either time to re-format/re-install Win7 or hard drive was going down.  I still haven't tested the HDD with the fitness test yet, but I will.  If it is the HDD can I format and install Win7 to a 500GB I have, then transfer over everything from the HDD I have now to the 500GB?  I really don't want to re-install all the programs/applications I have.  Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello TeachPower,

Good plan to install Windows 7 to the 500GB HDD, put it on a 120GB partition on it`s own and use a software such as Macrium Reflect (free) to clone your personal data and programs from the Hitachi HDD, programs will not run if they are only copied across, I would do this first and then test the Hitachi drive just in case, can I also suggest that you disconnect the Hitachi HDD while you do the fresh installation of Windows 7, this also as a precautionary measure + it will prevent the computer from booting up from the Hitachi HDD when you don't want it to.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Not very familiar with partitions.  Are you saying to make a separate 120GB partition just for the Win7 OS and clone the personal data and programs onto a different parition?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is correct, Windows is always best to be installed on it`s own partition as it reduces the risk of it becoming corrupted or compromised, 120GB will make sure that you have enough space for future updates and allow for file swapping within Windows to be carried out efficiently.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Thank you again for the help phill.  Is there a guide to installing Win7 on a separate partition and installing/putting the application and personal data to a separate partition?  I have always only installed OS's to one partition and then installed applications/personal data within Win7 to apparently the same partition.  Thank you.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Just posting here to inform phill that the user folowed your advice and created a new thread in the Windows 7 section to ask for help with the partitionning process, here :

http://www.geekstogo...s/#entry2409530

I'll be assisting him as I know how to create and manage partitions, I even wrote a tutorial on that. phill, you're welcome to jump in at any time too ! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thank you Aura for both your courtesy and for taking care of TeachPower, it is appreciated  :)  :thumbsup: