Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Goobzo & Tuvaro Infected machine [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ernest-1/2-Geek

Ernest-1/2-Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The FileHippo GUI is flooded with adware and I inadvertently downloaded "Video File Converter" which added other tool-bars etc. I did an Uninstall and also restored back to Delfix restore point.

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

The FileHippo GUI is flooded with adware and I inadvertently downloaded "Video File Converter" which added other tool-bars etc. I did an Uninstall and also restored back to 

Delfix restore point.

Ah, ok. :) I'm glad we could help you out, and if we can be of service in the future, please don't hesitate to come back. :wave:

pystryker

Ernest-1/2-Geek

Ernest-1/2-Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Once again Pystryker let me thank you your help and this site has blown me away. I never knew such help was available. I am not going to load the FileHippo on the repaired computer because if I was tripped up I can only imagine what my friend would do!

This site has really intrigued me and I have wondered not only about yourself but your other assistants if you do this work full time or as hobbyist? If it is not full time what is your full time occupation? Do you have a central location or are you widespread? I was wondering as well how you became so knowledgeable about computer systems and especially malware (I.E. self taught or formal training)?

How can your site continue to operate without asking for funds. I know you  you accept donations and I will donating $60.00, will the money go to yourself or a general fund? If you think I am being to persoanl please don't feel obligated to answer but I am really dumbfounded with your site. I will certainly be passing on your site to anyone that needs your help.

Ernie

Carbonear, Newfoundland Canada

​If you take a wrong turn and find yourself on the Gulf of St. Lawrence ferry and find yourself in our corner of the vineyard don't bother booking a hotel the kids have flown and we have three bedrooms to spare!

Edited by Ernest-1/2-Geek, 17 June 2014 - 07:12 PM.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Once again Pystryker let me thank you your help and this site has blown me away. I never knew such help was available. I am not going to load the FileHippo on the repaired computer because if I was tripped up I can only imagine what my friend would do!

You are quite welcome, it's my pleasure. :) I understand about FileHippo, but if you see this person frequently, walk them through updating their programs. It's a valuable piece of protection for the machine.

This site has really intrigued me and I have wondered not only about yourself but your other assistants if you do this work full time or as hobbyist? Do you have a central location or are you widespread? I was wondering as well how you became so knowledgeable about computer systems and especially malware (I.E. self taught or formal training)?

We all do this on a volunteer basis, and all of us have day jobs as well. :) It's strictly volunteers here. Our members are all over the planet, actually. When I was in training, I had teachers from the U.K., the States, Germany, Denmark, etc. As for the learning how to do this, I'm a graduate of Geek University, right here at GeeksToGo. We offer a free online training course in malware removal. It's the only formal computer training I've had, but I've been around computers most of my life.

I know you you accept donations and I will donating $60.00, will the money go to yourself or a general fund? If you think I am being to persoanl please don't feel obligated to answer but I am really dumbfounded with your site. I will certainly be passing on your site to anyone that needs your help.

If you click the link in my signature, the donation will go to me. It's very much appreciated! :) I also appreciate you getting the word out about our site! We truly enjoy "paying it forward" as some of us came here needing help and decided that it would be cool to learn how to do this to help others out.

I appreciate your invitation, and I want to say it's been a pleasure working with you, Ernie. Nice to get an OP (Original Poster) that stays till the machine is completely clean. :thumbsup:

pystryker

Ernest-1/2-Geek

Ernest-1/2-Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Bye the Bye the machine I working on has another discovered issue and you may have to direct me elsewhere. When I click a win-8 tile it changes to the program screen and then immediately flashes back to the tiles. I cannot get any tile to open their associated program. Also I wanted to remove Norton from this machine for two reasons it seems to be bloatware to me and also it did little in protecting the machine. What is the best way to completely remove every trace of Norton and what would be a good substitute? I use AVG personal myself.

Edited by Ernest-1/2-Geek, 17 June 2014 - 07:33 PM.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
You can use the Norton Removal Tool found at this location to remove any traces of Norton: https://support.nort...erProfile_en_us

Also, I've included a link to our Windows 8 forum, and they should be able to help you with that issue: http://www.geekstogo.../188-windows-8/

As for protection, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to help protect against the adware/malware garbage. I also use Avast! anti-virus free version for protection against viruses. It's free, you can register it and get a key that will be good for a year. Then you can register again and it will give you another key good for a year. :thumbsup:

Ernest-1/2-Geek

Ernest-1/2-Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I didn't see your donation link. I donated to OTL already.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Ah, ok. It's last line of text above the 2 graphics at the bottom of my signature, but no worries. :thumbsup:

Ernest-1/2-Geek

Ernest-1/2-Geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I had inadvertently changed my view setting so your signature was not showing.

Donation done

Many Thanks

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Thank you, Ernie.  You are very welcome. :) :cheers:

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.