Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't save changes in Word document

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I've recently been having trouble saving changes in some of my Word documents.  When I click the File tab then Save the Save As window pops up with all of the Word documents listed within the folder instead of just saving.  Then when I click on the Save button  I get the message: "This file is read only".  When I then click the red X to exit and open the document again the changes are not saved, but if I then make changes and try to save it saves normally. 

But recently with one of my Word documents the same problems I just described happened, and when I try to save multiple times I always get the message: "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc. And when I click OK I get the message: "MS Word cannot import the specified format.  This feature is not currently installed.  Would you like to install it now?"  When I click Yes I get the message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available".  Then when I click OK in this pop-up I get the message:"The path Microsoft Office cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location..."  The document that I was trying to save changes in no longer exists and there is a temp file in my folder with the same name as the original document along with three other WRL and WRD temp files even though I just manually cleaned out my temp folder. 

I googled the problem and got this suggestion: 

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftShared ToolsText ConvertersImportMSWord6.wpc
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.

Should I go through this procedure?  I'm tentative about deleting.  Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 16 June 2014 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi aaaa44 :)

May I ask you what version of Windows and what version of Microsoft Office you are running ?

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Windows XP Home, Office 2000.

rossdouglas

rossdouglas

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've recently been having trouble saving changes in some of my Word documents.  When I click the File tab then Save the Save As window pops up with all of the Word documents listed within the folder instead of just saving.  Then when I click on the Save button  I get the message: "This file is read only".  When I then click the red X to exit and open the document again the changes are not saved, but if I then make changes and try to save it saves normally. 

But recently with one of my Word documents the same problems I just described happened, and when I try to save multiple times I always get the message: "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc. And when I click OK I get the message: "MS Word cannot import the specified format.  This feature is not currently installed.  Would you like to install it now?"  When I click Yes I get the message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available".  Then when I click OK in this pop-up I get the message:"The path Microsoft Office cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location..."  The document that I was trying to save changes in no longer exists and there is a temp file in my folder with the same name as the original document along with three other WRL and WRD temp files even though I just manually cleaned out my temp folder. 

Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.

Should I go through this procedure?  I'm tentative about deleting.  Thanks for any replies.

Click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.

You are using old version of Microsoft Office(2000). First of all , you need to uninstall Microsoft Office(2000) and install newer version. I would recommend you for MS Office 2007.

ronaldreed48

ronaldreed48

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You should try out the the video once to get the Word file repaired. Go through the tutorial here,

http://youtu.be/UysLxoCzOhc