Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Install Windows 7 To One Partition & Create Another Partiti

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

So in essence to have an 120GB partition for Windows and the rest (500GB - 120GB = 380GB approximately) for data/apps/programs? Right?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

So in essence to have an 120GB partition for Windows and the rest (500GB - 120GB = 380GB approximately) for data/apps/programs? Right?

Yes. This means that you would have to shrink the C: partition by about 380GBs, which is 389120MBs. However, you can only shrink the C: partition by 232828MBs, which is around 228GBs.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

So if I shrink it to what you see I can only shrink it to, I will have a much larger partition than 120GB for Windows and about 220GB for data/apps/programs?

Edited by TeachPower, 17 June 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

So if I shrink it to what you see I can only shrink it to, I will have a much larger partition than 120GB for Windows and about 220GB for data/apps/programs?

220GBs will be enough in my opinion. Do you install a lot of games and developement softwares like Visual Studio, Photoshop, etc. ?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I try to install and play one or two games at a time at the most, as I don't have that much time to play.  As far as data, apps, and programs I do have a lot of those I work with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Camtasia, etc.  The old HDD that was having problems which is why I am seeking your help, was 320GB and I had it mostly full with only about 80GB free space.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I try to install and play one or two games at a time at the most, as I don't have that much time to play.  As far as data, apps, and programs I do have a lot of those I work with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Camtasia, etc.  The old HDD that was having problems which is why I am seeking your help, was 320GB and I had it mostly full with only about 80GB free space.

Alright then we'll use a third-party application. Windows Disk Management Utility only allows you to shrink your current partition by maximum half their size, so we would have to use a third-party application (like GParted) in order to reduce that partition even more. Would you like to try ?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I guess if you think its worth the effort to keep Win7 OS on its own partition?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I guess if you think its worth the effort to keep Win7 OS on its own partition?

It's worth it. If Windows 7 crashes again, you only have to worry about it's insallation when you reinstall it, not your personal files. Personally my current setup is a SSD and a HDD. I have Windows installed on my SSD as well as my important programs : Visual Studio, Java, Adobe Reader, etc. And on my HDD, I have ALL my personal files as well as my random programs like web browsers, Notepad++, WinRAR, etc. It really depends on how you want to set it up.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Sure let's do it then, as you're the expert between you and I :).

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Sure let's do it then, as you're the expert between you and I :).

Alright ! Let's start by downloading the software that's going to help us do this task. We'll use EaseUS Partition Master that you can download by clicking on the link I just provided. Once it's done, tell me. During the installation, you can uncheck to "Participate to the customer experience blablabla".

Advertisements

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Done.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Done.

Alright, now please launch the program and send me a screenshot of what you see so I can tell you exactly where to click/go.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Screenie

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Screenie

I'm truly sorry about taking time to reply. I'm having really bad issues with my ISP right now and losing my Internet constanstly.
Alright, right-click on the C: partition and click on "Resize/Move partition". Take a screenshot and post it so I can see the numbers. I'll have to do some maths ! :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Screenie.  Don't worry about it.  Things happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by TeachPower, 17 June 2014 - 09:11 PM.