Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Install Windows 7 To One Partition & Create Another Partiti

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Do I have to install Win7 on the 345GB partition too? I don't want to dual-boot. I just want Win7 and have two partitions... one for Win7 and the other for my data.

No you don't have to install Windows on the 345GBs partition. Just finish creating it and it will be done :) I'll explain how you can manage it after. For now you have nothing to worry about.

Advertisements

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Good morning.  This is what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Good morning.  This is what I have so far.

Good morning Teach :)

This is exactly how you want it to be ! Are the changes applied ? If you go in the Windows Explorer under Computer, do you see that new partition ?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

After all this the changes won't stay because it says I need to enter a serial number to activate the product.  I downloaded the free version and it says the free version will do what you are asking me to do for partitions. :smashcomp:

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

After all this the changes won't stay because it says I need to enter a serial number to activate the product.  I downloaded the free version and it says the free version will do what you are asking me to do for partitions. :smashcomp:

I gave you the wrong download link I guess my bad Teach !
Then use the free version and do that partitionning :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Done.  I had to click in the upper left corner of the program APPLY CHANGES then it wanted to reboot.  It rebooted but before getting to Windows it showed a progress bar doing its business.  Then rebooted again then brought me to Windows.  Clicking on My Computer I now see two partitions.  One named "Local Disk (C:)" and the other "Data (E:)"

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Done.  I had to click in the upper left corner of the program APPLY CHANGES then it wanted to reboot.  It rebooted but before getting to Windows it showed a progress bar doing its business.  Then rebooted again then brought me to Windows.  Clicking on My Computer I now see two partitions.  One named "Local Disk (C:)" and the other "Data (E:)"

That's very good :)

You finally have both partitions now ! What's next ? :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

What next?  I guess change the registry values to make sure all programs/apps/data gets installed/copied to the "Data E:" partition.  Or do I just make sure that when I install/copy programs/apps/data I select the "Data E:" partition to install/copy them to?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

What next? I guess change the registry values to make sure all programs/apps/data gets installed/copied to the "Data E:" partition. Or do I just make sure that when I install/copy programs/apps/data I select the "Data E:" partition to install/copy them to?

The easiest way would be to manually change it during the installation. I have that registry tweak but for some reason it doesn't seems to ALWAYS work. So I always end up changing the drive letter from C: to D: during the installation. But you have to be careful. Some installations, if you click on "Next", "Next", "Next", etc. won't show you the installation path and therefore the application will be installed on the C:. ALWAYS pick the "Custom" or "Advanced" installation option so that you can see what path the application will be installed in and therefore change the drive letter. Also if you want a CLEAN E: drive, here's what I suggest you : to create two folders in it and call them Program Files and Program Files (x86). This way, when you install an application that would go in :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap
Or

C:\Program Files\Wireshark
All you would have to do is to change the C for a E and the program will install itself under a correct path architecture which is easily navigable but under the E: drive (Data) instead of the C: drive (Windows).

What do you think ? :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I think that if you say it will work I will try.  New to working with partitions and keeping OS on one and DATA on another.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I think that if you say it will work I will try.  New to working with partitions and keeping OS on one and DATA on another.

All good don't worry :)
At first it seems complicated but you'll quick notice that it's not that hard, you just have two partitions to take care of and it will become an automated process.
Was there anything else ? :)

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

No sir.  I guess I will have to get now with phill to see how to clone copy all that data and programs/apps from my backup drive using that program Macrium Reflect free.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

One question though.  If I do install a program/app and it installs to the C:\Program Files folder or the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.... could I just cut/paste the folder it installed into the correct E:\Program Files folder or  E:\Program Files (x86) folder?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

One question though.  If I do install a program/app and it installs to the C:\Program Files folder or the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.... could I just cut/paste the folder it installed into the correct E:\Program Files folder or  E:\Program Files (x86) folder?

You can't really do that as the registry keys that will be created in the registry for this program will probably have the path that was selected during the installation and therefore you would need to find all these related registry keys and change the path manually. Would be easier to actually uninstall it and reinstall.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Thanks Aura.  I have already been aware and used the change of C:\ to E:\ when installing some programs already.  Thanks again for all the help.