Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 full recovery

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I accidentally erased some files that have seriously messed up my computer, including deleting all my restore points.  So, now I have to do a full recovery.  I have a dell inspiron, originally with vista.  I later upgraded it to Windows 7/64.  My system does have a D: partition recovery drive.  Ok, my question is.  Once I perform the full recovery will my system go back to vista as it was shipped from factory? And then I'll have reinstall windows 7.  Or will it reboot in windows 7?  This my first time doing a full recovery.  

Thank You

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hello rigs :)

The System Recovery partition will contain the original OS with which your laptop was shipped with, in this case, Windows Vista. So therefore, if you do a System Recovery on your laptop, you'll get back Windows Vista (activated). You can also directly install Windows 7 from a Windows 7 installation media (like a USB or DVD) if you ever need to, WITHOUT having to install Windows Vista first. If you were to install Windows Vista first you could just upgrade to Windows 7.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thank you for your reply..............

I do have the windows 7 installation discs.  so, you recommend reinstalling windows 7 instead of doing the whole recovery thing............

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Well to be honest, if you have the choice between Windows Vista and Windows 7, I would go with Windows 7 without hesitation. I consider Vista being a really big error from Microsoft, it was the "beta" of Windows 7 and shouldn't be used anymore if you ask me, but in the end it's your call. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Does your computer Boot to the desktop?

If not, can you Boot to safe Mode?

Do you have the Product Key that came with your Windows 7 Upgrade Disc?

Please read this article then (if your computer works) post a screenshot  as shown at the top of the page.

http://pcsupport.abo...t-windows-7.htm

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I have a question on the recovery process.  Do I change the boot up menu to the dvd drive, where my installation disc is?  The reason I ask.  Is because I’ve run my installation disc a few times.  Everytime, when restarting, my pc.  It doesn’t detect my installation disc and it loads up windows.

Thank You

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I have a question on the recovery process.

If you computer boots to the desktop, just put the CD in the tray, close, Setup will start. I would like to make sure that you have chosen the best option for getting your system up and running again before you begin.   Please read this Tutorial.

> http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7

If you can't Bget to the Desktop, instructions to change the Boot order.

> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm 

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thank you for your posting and the links helped me a lot………….

I did insert my W7 disc in the dvd tray but it did not start set up automatically.  I'm using a copy of my original disc. I also have it.  could that be why it doesn't start automatically?  One of your links states that this can also be done using the start button and double click setup.exe.  I’ll reinstall windows tomorrow.

I plan on doing a complete reinstallation and not an upgrade.  Right now it’s an upgrade from vista.  I want to get rid of all vista files. I.e. vista partition.  Hopefully a complete reinstallation will take care of that. All my important files have been backed up.

Please tell me if I’m in the right track….

Edited by rigs, 24 June 2014 - 08:23 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes you are on the right track bu a few notes.

As you are doing a clean install, you will need to also install the MB drivers when you have installed windows and allowed the OS to update.   This means booting from the MB drivers disc so I recommend changing the Boot order before you begin.

Consider using the Tutorial at the link, it is long but detailed showing you every screen you will see and the options you should use, including deleting partitions.

Important. Because you are using an Upgrade Disc, in part 2 step #13 (image below) do not enter your product code, active on line when you have completely finished the OS install and done the updates.

To activate by using a direct connection
  1. Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, clickingProperties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.

2. If Windows detects an Internet connection, click Activate Windows online now18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Type your Windows 7 product key when prompted, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

quick question..........

what do you mean by "MB"?

Thank You

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Motherboard, abbreviation, MB. 

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I think that I have the dell drivers cd in my office.  however, are the drivers the same for vista and w7?  if not, will my w7 work after installation so I can d/load the drivers online from dell.com? 

thank you

Edited by rigs, 26 June 2014 - 06:00 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That is a point it being a Dell Vista disc, it may not have W7 drivers included.

Yes, your systme will work with the generic drivers from Microsoft, so after the Windows updates are finished, visit the product page for the Dell model you have.

Please post a link with the findings, before you download anything.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

you don't think that vista drivers won't work with W7?  even though, I have been using W7 for about 4 years.  one more thing, I found my dell drivers and utilities disc.  Also, my niece has a driver and utilities disc for W7.  she got it when she bought her dell inspiron laptop.  my desktop is an inspiron.  it does not say wether it is for a laptop or dektop on it, just driver and utilities for inspiron W7.  are W7 drivers the same for laptops and desktops? you think that I might be able to use her disc?

Thank You

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

you don't think that vista drivers won't work with W7?  even though, I have been using W7 for about 4 years.

Dell often have their own drivers specific to the chips on the MB.   When you did the W7 upgrade possible some drivers were not changed.   If you delete all partitions, install W7, my worry is W7 may not have the best drivers for the Dell MB.

As for your other questions, I will consult with collegues and get back to you.