Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse and keyboard suddenly locking up

• Please log in to reply

feeeeline

feeeeline

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

I run windows 8 on an almost 2 year old Dell.

I'm having problems with my mouse an keyboard locking up.  I'm not sure if it's something I've clicked on (not terribly likely... I'm fairly careful), and gotten some gunk in there somewhere or if I've got a bigger problem.

Thing is.. particularly with Windows 8, I'm not sure what I could run that might (safely... without adding more gunk) help me diagnose the problem.

Ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

ETA:  Tried a different mouse (which was pre-checked) with the same results.  I can't think of anything I've installed or opened recently other than a fairly innocuous game.

Edited by feeeeline, 21 June 2014 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

:welcome:

Hi feeeeline,

Need more info on the model and make of mouse and keyboard.

Also Model and make of PC.

Are they wireless, if so what type, Bluetooth ? 

Certain reasons this could happen why i need more info before i make any diagnosis. thanks

feeeeline

feeeeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanks, JD... mouse is a logitech 6500 (someone's discarded gamer mouse).  Keyboard is the one that came with the machine neither are wireless.

Machine itself is a Insprion 660s

Forgot to mention that I did try changing ports with the mouse, to see if I was getting a sticky port.  Didn't make any difference.  Occasionally the problem seems to start with a jumpy cursor (as I move the mouse, the cursor doesn't follow smoothly... and then it stops altogether) 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi again, your welcome,

Could be a hardware conflict, have you added anything recently to this computer ? Even new software too. Always make restore points when you do and leave them till you know everthing works o.k.

Go to the Device Manager, on menu under view click "show hidden devices" and report if there are any yellow exclamation points on any devices, particularly the keyboard and/or mouse.

Is the Keyboard USB?

With this mouse it uses Logitech Setpoint software, make sure you have the latest software with drivers installed, check here for drivers and troubleshooting  http://logitech-en-a...,2,4,5/cl/us,en

Now you did edit in first post you tried another USB mouse and it did the same thing ?

Try Dell's Site for diagnosis if you want http://www.dell.com/...n-660s/diagnose

By chance you do not think you activated sticky keys on keyboard, by chance ? By hitting shift key several times.

feeeeline

feeeeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

jd, you've given me some good ideas to go with.

Tried the Dell site first as I figured it would be the easiest for NON-TECHIE me to manage.

Of course the 'puter froze and locked on the second diagnostic  :lol:   Couldn't complete it and had to force a re-boot (held down the power button).  Incidentally, the first diagnostic (just a general one) came up with no fails.

The ideas I have are 1) this is not something I've gotten into as far as a computer bug.  I'm not techie, but I'm experienced and stay away from things that should not be clicked.  I think I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything different during the time the problem began (within the last week) And 2) I have a crazy cat.  The keyboard is quite ordinary, and fairly dirty.  The kitten has managed to do some WILD things to my computer on several occasions.  She has managed to turn my monitor from vertical to horizontal often enough that I've memorized the remedy.  I think the little knot head has jumped on something one too many times, and it's sticking, and that is what is setting up my problem.

I promise, I won't put my keyboard in a dishwasher.  ;)  

I'll replace it, and see if that fixes the problem.  It's long due for replacement anyway... I just haven't done it before as I knew the kitten needed to grow past the mischief age for a new one to be safe from harm.

I'll post about whether or not this works (as a cautionary tale for those with cats/kittens that make mischief with keyboards). 

Love windows 8, but I've found that making something idiot-proof just dares an idiot like me to find a way to create a problem that is difficult to figure out.   :rofl:

Thanks so much!!!!!

feeeeline

feeeeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

My family chip-head suggested that this could be a faulty USB driver...  the only thing that would make me sad is to have my computer be a big black brick.  (All pay homage to the tech-gods that this not be so)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

feeeeline,

Now i see where you got this name :yes: from.

Well that suggestion you made about it possibly being caused by dirt,dust and cat hair would of crossed my mind if i knew to tell you to check for particles inside keys.

Never thought to ask that question, not knowing or thinking you may or may not clean the PC periodically.

It is important at least once a every other week to use a soft lint free cloth to dust off hardware, plus use compressed air.

Should also open the PC Tower once a month and blow out dust, but always unplug the PC touch and touch a metal surface on PC to prevent charge,static or otherwise. This is very important to do, dust can destroy fans,PSU's and other parts in PC. Especially if you have rugs and own a pet.

Do not have to be a techie for this, it's a good common practice for anyone with a desktop.

Yes stuff could get underneath the keys on a keyboard, can blow it out with compressed air, a quick way i use every few days is turn it upside down and shake it lightly and blow into the key areas. :D

Dell inspiron is a decent PC.

Yes another keyboard is easy to get, not too costly unless you want one that has bluetoooth,wireless and backlit.

Try to download the newest USB drivers for your model PC ,in Device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

PC is definitely not idiot proof, mind u :yes:  Easy for someone to make a mistake on it, especially if they do not know what they are about to do or have already done.

Why when in doubt before you do it, research it or come here and ask someone with more knowledge on it. 

Feeeeline, you will learn more as you do more and more you know the better you will become, never too old to learn.

I always learned from my mistakes, trial and error, although it never cost me, i always do my homework beforehand.

So what about the mouse issue ? From my experience Logitech's drivers and software tend to be buggy.

Well also make sure to use the compressed air on the mouse too, this idea was not my first thought, but now it maybe some or all of your problems now.

Just do not do this :smashcomp:  In case with the issues you have with the Dell Diagnostics, do you have original restore DVD's or a recovery partition ?

Good luck, here if you need more help.

Edited by jds63, 23 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

feeeeline

feeeeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Just a quick update... since changing the mouse and re-booting, I haven't had this problem again.  Hope my experience can help someone else!  Sad to loose my snazzy gamer mouse, but glad my problem is fixed.

Thanks, JD!!!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Feeeeline,

Good to hear, glad to be of help.

Wondering what was wrong with this mouse, if it was software or a broken mouse.

I thought you tried another and that did or did not work, but i guess not i did not see it in your posts here.

Good luck and thanks for replying back on your resolution to help others. :spoton:

Edited by jds63, 06 July 2014 - 08:09 PM.