Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are PUP`s of any real interest ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I have AV 2014, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and SuperAntiSpyware as AV and Malware detection programs. I  also have TDSSKiller for Rootkit only detection. AV 2014 is my main AV, the others are standalone manual selection programs which I run as I think fit.

My OS is Windows XP Home with SP3 and default browser Google Chrome. I always open my browser with Sandboxie.

I have never found any serious threat for many years, just minor elements of no real consequence.

None of my security programs have detected any PUP`s, yet MBAM which I tried out of curiosity listed 80, all tabbed as "no threat". Rather like the guy out of step in the squad is the only guy in step.

Personally I think that MBAM is hyper-sensitive about PUP`s and call everything a PUP. If my other extremely reputable programs do not detect these 80 PUP`s then that is good enough for me - they are a figment of MBAM`s imagination.

The only PUP`s I  acknowledge, are fluffy little things having four legs and yap.

What are your views on PUP`s and the behavior of MBAM in finding an army of them when nobody  else does ?

Edited by John Bull, 27 June 2014 - 08:55 AM.

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Please read the article: Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy. Also, since you are concerned about MBAM's policy, it is better to ask in their respected forum.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Please read the article: Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy. Also, since you are concerned about MBAM's policy, it is better to ask in their respected forum.

Thank you for your reply. I have not read the MBAM link - waste of time.

I have been in MBAM`s respected Forum and got nowhere. I sure am not going back for another dose. I have no intention of making a career of MBAM.

"MBAM adopts aggressive PUP`s policy". Well they certainly are going for gold, finding 80 PUP`s on my PC when  everybody else finds none. That is what you call  really aggressive, if not highly imaginative.

This thread is not about MBAM`s over-enthusiasm for finding PUP`s, it is asking what the members feel about these awful threats to our security. My mentioning of the MBAM fiasco, is merely to give an example of how much importance various reputable malware programs give to PUP`s. Some do and some don`t.

Anyway, what on Earth is the point in spending over 1.1/2 hours chonking on merrily with a THREATS scan and then producing a list of 80 items tabbed NO THREAT ? It`s a contradictory and ludicrous waste of time.

AV and AM programs almost  always list "level of risk", but to list items with "no threat" is preposterous. If all items  with no threat were listed in these programs, we would grow older reading them.

No risk and no threat items should be skipped and not listed in the scan output until such time as they become a risk or threat. I have been on tranquilizers ever since MBAM told me I had 80 PUP`s on my PC with nervous hyper-tension.

Edited by John Bull, 28 June 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

Thank you for your reply. I have not read the MBAM link - waste of time.

Same goes for your rant here.

I have been in MBAM`s respected Forum and got nowhere. I sure am not going back for another dose. I have no intention of making a career of MBAM.

Why do you think making a thread here will change anything. We use MBAM and we agree with their PUP policies as they are as their name posits "potentially-unwanted-program". Most anti-virus has PUP detection disabled by default e.g avast!, ESET et cetera. I have not tested the other AVs.

"MBAM adopts aggressive PUP`s policy". Well they certainly are going for gold, finding 80 PUP`s on my PC when everybody else finds none. That is what you call really aggressive, if not highly imaginative.

Or, maybe your system does have PUPs which the other security software did not detect.

This thread is not about MBAM`s over-enthusiasm for finding PUP`s, it is asking what the members feel about these awful threats to our security. My mentioning of the MBAM fiasco, is merely to give an example of how much importance various reputable malware programs give to PUP`s. Some do and some don`t.

Really? Of all the members I have attended to you are the only person to say thing. I am not an ambassador of the said product. So, far I have less FPs than any other free tools. "Members" you say -- please, refrain from putting opinion on someone else. I do not see what is wrong in detecting PUP which are potentially unwanted per se. If you want to disregard that warning, do not scan.

Anyway, what on Earth is the point in spending over 1.1/2 hours chonking on merrily with a THREATS scan and then producing a list of 80 items tabbed NO THREAT ? It`s a contradictory and ludicrous waste of time.

Seriously. MBAM detected 80 PUPs and you are saying that your scan time was lengthy. Have you read the description of "Threat Scan" -- it scan all the areas for malware hence the scan time increases.

AV and AM programs almost always list "level of risk", but to list items with "no threat" is preposterous. If all items with no threat were listed in these programs, we would grow older reading them.

Threat is something that causes harm. PUPs causes slowness, annoyance, and disturbance to a system aka far from the definition of threats. And AV and AM uses different scan process ergo they are not the same.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

@ Valinorum

You call my posts a rant ? With due respect, THAT is an opinion and we all have those, yours being no more credible or important  than that of the rest of us.

We are getting nowhere on PUP`s, with only your singular reply.  I was seeking members views on these rather incidental presences, but I get the message that all you are intent on doing is to ridicule my extremely valid comments and logic to the point of argument. Well, my Roman anti-malware gladiator extraordinaire, I am not playing the game.

So, we must agree to disagree on the philosophy and interpretation of the importance of PUP`s and of how good MBAM is against a myriad of other highly reputable programs and I suggest that we close my thread now before it becomes too slap-happy.

My very best wishes.

John

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

I suggest that we close my thread now before it becomes too slap-happy.

Wish granted.

Regards,
Valinorum