Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting help with upgrading my junky PC

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your new PSU is fine for the present hardware but it may not be if you intend adding such a powerful card as the 780Ti, both of the cards that you are considering require a 600W PSU so you are fine there but you must also make allowances for any additional storage devices that you have or may add along the way + the amount of cooling fans that your new case will have.

Let us know what other SSDs are available to you so we can take a look.

The Zalman Z9 case I would not go for, it has a large amount of plastic which holds heat + it has no front USB 3.0 ports.

Advertisements

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Well, I think I decided which hardware I will get. But there are still some outstanding issues.

First, please, help me with the CPU coller, because I don't have a slightest idea as to what should be kept in mind while choosing a good CPU cooller. Any suggestions will do, both the actual cooler pieces suggestions and maybe some general tips on how to recognize a bad cooler from a good one. Or even maybe a good and comprehencive guide or something.

The case. I found that my present case is not very good at venting off the heat. The MB is running as high as 68 C and that is not very healthy. If you touch the right side panel you feel it's very warm, not hot but not cool either. That didn't happen with the former PSU, now it's happenig with the new one. I think that is because the new PSU has very long and stiff cords and the case is microATX and it's very difficult to manage the cords properly, so they are in the way of the air flow now and I can't do anything about that. The only thing I did to remedy the situation was removing the left side panel, with the case open I managed to lose about 8 C, so the MB is running 60 C, still not very good.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the case you suggested anywhere near me, and I need a new case fast due to the situation. So here are my takes, please, help me choose the right one:

ZALMAN Z11 Plus HF1, AeroCool Mechatron, Cooler Master < NSE-600-KWN1 > N600 Black,  Cooler Master <CMS-693-KKN1> CM 690 III Black, Corsair <CC-9011023-WW> Carbide Series 200R Black, Corsair <CC-9011011-WW> Carbide Series 400R Black (I like how this one looks :D)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The case that you prefer would be the one that I would go for from your list, specs and reviews here

The CPU cooler we will look at when we see your final list of potential purchases.

You never let us know what SSD options you have available.

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

The case that you prefer would be the one that I would go for from your list, specs and reviews here

The CPU cooler we will look at when we see your final list of potential purchases.

You never let us know what SSD options you have available.

Sorry, got a bit confused with all the info.

So the case. Agreed. And huge thanks to you.

The final list is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
Memory -  Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8G(X)
Storage - SSD SiliconPower S60 SP0120GBSS3S60S25

Anyway, you've never answered my question about the MB I picked. Is it good enough for a high performance gaming computer I'm trying to build?

I decided to go with that SSD as I found a lot of good feedbacks on that particular model. Not only on amazon but from some local forums.
Other staff like an optical drive, cardreader, HDD, GPU are going to carry over to the new rig for now. Next I'm going to acquire a new powerful GPU and new HDD and a monitor, but that's a different story. Anyway, if you don't mind talking about a monitor. I heard about the NVidia GSync tecnolodgy. It looks impressive. Do you know if there are any GSync monitors available on the market right now

Edited by iCake, 08 July 2014 - 11:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Good choice of case  :thumbsup:

Sorry that I overlooked the MB question, I would not purchase that particular MB as it is not 5th generation CPU compatible + there are too many negative reviews at the Newegg review tab, see here

The cooler supplied with your CPU has been tested and approved for temps over and above normal use so give that a try first, if it is too noisy you should then consider a 3rd party cooler but not before.

SSD info acknowledged, I was hoping to save you some cash but nevermind your choice appears sound.

Gsync displays are very few and far between and they are expensive, a UK example here

You are welcome btw  :)

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

So the MB is still in question then. So what would you suggest. Don't worry about them being not available in my city shops because I'm going to take advantage of on-line shopping and delivery with that :)

One thing though, the MB must be high-performance and of high durability and it must support both N-Vidia SLI and Crossfire-X, because no one knows which of those two would be a better choice at a time. Also, don't care for more than 2 PCI express slots, I'm not going for more than 2 GPUs ever :)

The CPU. I'm not going to buy a K-proccessor with a cooler bundled up with it. The K index suggests that I'm going to play with its frequencies as in overclock it, so a default cooler is not a good choice.

As for the GSync monitors, god, they're really expensive! :D Not that they're not affordable though and I'm not going to go for it right away, so I might still consider getting one some time later, and they might, well sure they will, become cheaper by that time.

Last thing, I heard that AMD had come up with a GSync counterpart called FreeSync. What about the FreeSync monitors out there?

Edited by iCake, 08 July 2014 - 02:29 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

MB here

If you are not purchasing a CPU that is bundled with an Intel HS and cooling fan then you are purchasing an OEM version, you can use whatever cooler you like with these unless the merchant from where you purchase the CPU suggests a specific one as part of any warranty that they may offer.

Freesync is still under development and from what I have read could be at least 12 months away. 

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

That MB looks solid! However it has some redundunt (for me) features. Like a wi-fi module and 3 PCI-Express slots. Anything good out there with no wi-fi and two PCI-E slots?

Aslo, regarding the cooler. I know that I can use any cooler with an OEM CPU. The problem is I don't know how to choose which one exactly. I'd go for less noize and higher efficiency here. Maybe you could suggest any? Don't worry about it/them being available in my city. The on-line shopping it is for me

Edited by iCake, 08 July 2014 - 03:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have the Z87 version of the MB and the wireless is a great asset for downloading updates and streaming videos etc and that is why I suggested the board that I did, never mind though if you don't want that feature, the amount of PCI-E slots is pretty standard for high end gaming MBs with no real costs incurred, an alternative MB here

Cooler here

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I see it's the same MB but without a wi-fi module. Good. Also I see it has a 10 Gb sata express and I don't know what it is, but the speed looks impressive though. Anyway you wrote this:

the wireless is a great asset for downloading updates and streaming videos etc

Now I'm intrigued. Could you, please, elaborate on that a bit?

The cooler, looks great. However I'm concerned about the size of the radiator. Will it be enough to effectively vent off the heat?

I came across this one: Zalman 14X

It has a bigger radiator and it looks like it's expandable. like I can mount up to 2 additional coolers on each side. How does this one look to you?

P.S. Once again you've been a great help :)

Edited by iCake, 08 July 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure what you need me to elaborate on, your MB having wireless capability means that you dont need an add on card + the onboard device is configured and accepted in the BIOS and makes for better efficiency.

The cooler I suggested is fine as it is but I do suggest that you read the Newegg reviews for the Zalman 14X, see here

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

>>> Not sure what you need me to elaborate on

You said:

the wireless is a great asset for downloading updates and streaming videos etc

I just wanted to know why is that :)

As for the Zalman cooler the reviews are controversial at the very least, so back to the cooler you suggested :) I think it'd be a good choice

Edited by iCake, 10 July 2014 - 02:10 PM.

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Okay, today I've got the case and ordered every other hardware piece we have agreed on:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K

Memory -  Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8G(X)
Storage - SSD SiliconPower S60 SP0120GBSS3S60S25
CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (The one you suggested)

However, I still want to know how the wireless is "a great asset for downloading updates and streaming videos etc". Because I don't understand what you even meant by that :) I don't see any differemce about the wireless and wired apart from the mobility the wireless gives you :)

Anyway, the price difference between the Wi-fi MB and regular one is nothing to really worry about. So if there is something good I don't know about the wireless I'm ready to hear that

Thanks for all the help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Wireless does away with trailing cables around the place + connectivity is almost instantaneous unlike an ethernet connection which can be a lot slower depending on the type of cable used etc. 

iCake

iCake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I see. But the cables don't bother me, I arranged them neatly inside the baseboards long ago.

As for the connection speed, there is no way to acquire wireless here other than utilizing a wi-fi router. Of course, the router has to be connected to a wired network first, so that's why I didn't see any real difference between wireless and wired. Anyway, the wired is quite satisfactory in terms of bandwidth and reliability because there are a lot of companies here providing the ethernet connection type, so they have to deliver quality :)

As for the connectivity, the way I have it right now, my PC is always connected to the Internet just because the router is always connected as well

So, it's the non-wireless MB version for me, going to order it now.

Thanks for all the help. Better yet It was a quality type of help. Sure will recommend this forum to any of my friends that might have a use for it. 

May come back here when I decided to a new GPU and/or new monitor, if it's okay with you.