Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora, nail.exe, betterinternet trojan [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
EXACTLY!!!

Advertisements

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Excellent!!!

As Tampabelle has started to help you we should probably wait for her to finish.

Ill send her a message to help her get started on a fix for you. I believe she has turned in for the night.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

:tazz:

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Just one more thing can you zip this whole folder and mail it to the same adress

C:\Program Files\Cas

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Hmm is see you tried to send the folder. All I recieved was a link to the zip. Please try to resend.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry, my blunder.

See the one I've just sent.

Thanks again.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello again Tampabelle and Atribune,

I really appreciate your help. Before we attempt the next fix, I think I should give you some current feedback.

I think I haven't got rid of Aurora. I think it's just mutating. Please read the following:

I have a strange icon on my taskbar called the Bounceback Launcher, and another one call Synaptics pointing device. Are they supposed to be there? Also, while there are no programs running, my computer tells me there is one program running when I turn it on.

I did a Norton scan and the Repair Wizard came up with the following at risk files:

muthf.exe Adware.BetterInternet
quaraFile61.ess Adware.Begin2Search
quaraFile70.ess Adware.Begin2Search
quaraFile82.ess Adware.Begin2Search
quaraFile92.ess Adware.Begin2Search
quaraFile98.ess Adware.Begin2Search

I pressed delete but it didn't seem to delete them, so I ran Norton again. This time it didn't find the files.

Thanks again for everything.
Regards,
calsof.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Calsof,

Nothing to worry about those files. Those are the files which have been quarantined by Ewido Security Suite !!! notice the "ess" in the file name hahahaha.

You have Microsoft's Global Input Method Editors software installed on your PC. In case you dont require it, you can uninstall it later. It is not crucial to our fix. You can read more about it here -

http://www.microsoft...me/default.mspx

Both Bounceback and synaptics are clean and do not pertain to malware. CMS BounceBack Professional Software is designed so you can easily install, backup, and recover your data. The bounceback Launcher pertains to that. Synaptics pointing device referes to your mouse pad / pointing stick on your laptop. So we can leave them alone safely.

Please disconnect from the internet and shutdown Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Spybot S&D.

Run Hijack This and check the box next to following item and click on fix checked -

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CAS Client] "C:\Program Files\Cas\Client\casclient.exe"

Reboot the PC in safe mode.

Locate and delete the folder -

C:\Program Files\Cas

Reboot the PC in Normal Mode and activate Microsoft Anti-Spyware and spybot S&D.

Run Hijack This, post a fresh log here and let me know if everything is fine. Once we clear up this one, we will jump to the other PC.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
:-)) Hehehe. I panic easily, don't I? Thank you, Tampabelle, for your patience.

You're a lifesaver. I followed your instructions and the Error page is gone. One hickup though: I didn't have any of those annoying desktop shortcuts for a while now, and as soon as I logged back on in normal mode I got a "poker" shortcut and deleted it from the desktop. Here is the last log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:50:51 pµ, on 16/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\CMS Peripherals\BounceBack Express\BBLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\calsof\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\acer\eRecovery\Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LaunchApp] Alaunch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Windows\System32\Check.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [imekrmig7.0] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMKR7\IMEKRMIG.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMSCMig] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\IME\IMSC40A\IMSCMIG.EXE /Preload
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CJIMETIPSYNC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMTC65\CHANGJIE\CINTLCFG.EXE /CJIMETIPSync
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIMETIPSYNC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMTC65\PHONETIC\TINTLCFG.EXE /PHIMETIPSync
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG9.0] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\IME\IMJP9\IMJPMIG.EXE /Preload /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: BounceBack Launcher.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O18 - Filter: text/html - {8293D547-38DD-4325-B35A-F1817EDFA5FC} - C:\Program Files\Cas\Client\casmf.dll
O23 - Service: Notebook Manager Service (anbmService) - OSA Technologies Inc. - C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

Thanks again.
calsof.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Calsof,

There is one more entry which need to be fixed -

Run Hijack This, chekc the bx next to following item and click on Fix checked -

O18 - Filter: text/html - {8293D547-38DD-4325-B35A-F1817EDFA5FC} - C:\Program Files\Cas\Client\casmf.dll

Open the run window (click on Start ---> Run) and type thiss command there -

attrib -a -r -h -s c:\Prgram Files\cas

and hit enter.

Repeat the process with this command -

del /q c:\Program Files\cas

Please verify in Windows explorer that the folder has ben deleted.

Please post a fresh Hijack This log for me to verify that the file has been removed.

Advertisements

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello again,

Ok, here goes:

I followed your instructions to the end. Everything worked except this part:

del /q c:\Program Files\cas

View Post

A popup told me "del" was not to be found. I did a search for "cas" and I found numerous "cas" and "casclient" entries, some of which I may have put there myself (.zip files and the like) to send to you earlier in the fix.

Here is the latest log:

Scan saved at 10:07:59 pµ, on 16/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [imekrmig7.0] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMKR7\IMEKRMIG.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMSCMig] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\IME\IMSC40A\IMSCMIG.EXE /Preload
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CJIMETIPSYNC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMTC65\CHANGJIE\CINTLCFG.EXE /CJIMETIPSync
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIMETIPSYNC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\IME\IMTC65\PHONETIC\TINTLCFG.EXE /PHIMETIPSync
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG9.0] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\IME\IMJP9\IMJPMIG.EXE /Preload /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O23 - Service: Notebook Manager Service (anbmService) - OSA Technologies Inc. - C:\Acer\eManager\anbmServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

Thanks again for everything.
Looks like we may be getting there at last.
:tazz:

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Calsof,

My mistake !!!! there is a difference between removing a file and a complete directory !!!! Also dont worry if you dont see an entry or a file. Just go ahead with the complete fix and then let me know in your next post.

Lets try this once more. Just to be sure, we will also uninstall MSAS and Spybot.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware and SpyBot S&D maybe interfering with the fix. So we will uninstall them. But before we uninstall them, I want you to get these files so that these can be installed immediately after the fix is completed. Please download these softwares -

Microsoft Anti-Spyware - here
SpyBot S&D - here

Download this additional file - Fix.zip. Unzip the file fix.bat and save it on your desktop.

Please disconnect from the Internet and disconnect from the other PC. You will need to disconnect from the internet again. Uninstall Microsoft Anti-Spyware and SPyBot S&D in Add or Remove Programs.

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode. Run the file fix.bat.

Run Hijack This and fix the entry -

Open the run window (click on Start ---> Run) and type this command there -

attrib -a -r -h -s c:\Prgram Files\cas

and hit enter.

rd /q c:\Program Files\cas

Delete the folders -

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

Reboot the PC in Normal Mode.

Install Microsoft Anti-Spyware and SpyBot S&D.

Connect to the internet and then update the definition files of both the softwares.

Please post a fresh Hijack This log for me to verify that the file has been removed.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello again,

I followed the instructions to the point:

rd /q c:\Program Files\cas

An rd Window appeared again telling me Windows cannot find "rd"

Then I deleted:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

This file did not exist:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

I followed the rest of your instructions and I will post a fresh HijackThis log next.

calsof

calsof

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Here it is:

Scan saved at 11:18:16 pµ, on 16/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

Thanks again.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Calsof,

Just one more thing.

Click on Start ---> Run. Type Cmd and hit enter.

In the black window which opens, type these two commands -

attrib -a -r -h -s c:\Prgram Files\cas <hit enter>

rd /q c:\Program Files\cas <hit enter>

No need to post another HJT log. Can you confirm that C:\Program Files\cas is not showing in Windows Explorer??