Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless card install problem

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I am trying to make a HP DV2000 usable.    There appears to be no wireless as the light for that does not come on.  Thinking it was the mini card   I found an inexpensive one on EBAY.   The first one I found  I got the message   "unsupported device".   tried again with the exact part number and that one does not lie flat and the connectors will not stay put.  Should all wireless cards lie flat in their compartment and perhaps this is also a faulty card?  Is there a fix for this, tape, etc?

Advertisements

devandkumar11

devandkumar11

• Pip
  • 3 posts

1. Wireless Card Installation for a Desktop Computer

2. Shut down your computer, and unplug it completely. If you are installing a full card and not just a USB adapter, this is a job that needs to be done with the machine off and unplugged.

3.Open the cover of your desktop.

• For some older PCs, this requires unscrewing connector pins on the back of the case. For most Macs and PCs, it will only require pulling on a switch that will allow you to either pull down the side or fully remove part of the case.

4. Locate the correct slot on your computer for the wireless card.

• Find an empty PCI slot on a PC computer. Make sure to remove the faceplate for that port before trying to install the card. This will expose the new card from the back of your PC when you close the case.
  • For a Mac, locate the Airport card slot. On most G5 Power Macs, it is generally part of the metal wall that separates the logic board. On the iMac G4, the card slot is in the rounded base. And in the iMac G5, it's right in the middle when you've unscrewed the whole back plate.

5. Insert the wireless card.

• On a PC, insert the card until it is firmly seated in the port. Attach any screws associated with the card using a Phillips-head screwdriver. Attach the antenna to the outside of the card, and close your case.
  • On a Mac, connect the antenna cable to the back of the card and plug the card into the board. It will only connect one way, so if it doesn't work the first time just turn it around. Generally you'll turn the label face down so you can see the serial number and other written details on the card.

6. Close your case, and run any software that came with your wireless card.

7. Remove your battery from your laptop. This is not necessary, but it's a good practice to make sure that your laptop is safe.

8. Remove the communications cover for a PC laptop, usually marked C. For a Mac laptop, remove the entire back cover.

9. Install the wireless card in the mini-PCI slot for a PC laptop and in the Airport slot for a Mac. Make sure to connect the antenna to the wireless card. Then close your laptop.

10. Run any software that came with your wireless card, and configure your network.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Thanks  I was able to get the card safely installed and supposedly working.  After more than a few frustrating days with HP help,  I was finally told yes that particular laptop and several other series had heat problems which would make the wireless card useless.  Too bad they can't recall laptops! :no: