Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI card slots Win 7 machine

• Please log in to reply

serida

serida

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

I have an XP laptop, XP desktop & a win 7 all in one.

The XP desktop although old is my main PC.

I have fan issues with this desktop, often coming on full speed & the machine is slowing down so it is about time I got a new machine.

Definitely do not want win 8 so will focus on 7.

I am housebound so need to find answers online to my questions.

On the XP desktop I have a Creative PCI soundcard fitted, a Hauppage PCI TV tuner & an Nvidia graphics card fitted, (AGP?) I know it is not PCI.

My question is do win 7 machines still have these PCI slots like my XP desktop?

I don't want or rather cannot afford to buy new replacement cards.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you,

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi serida,

Can you list the make an model of both PC's .

Did you ever attempt to clean the dust in this XP machine ?

Might be the cause of built up dust on GPU fans and CPU fan an heatsink.

So it seems you have 2 PCI cards in already, possibly an AGP (INTERGRATED).

If list make and models we can get a better idea of what you can do.

Edited by jds63, 14 July 2014 - 03:08 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi serida,

Can you list the make an model of both PC's .

Did you ever attempt to clean the dust in this XP machine ?

Might be the cause of built up dust on GPU fans and CPU fan an heatsink.

So it seems you have 2 PCI cards in already, possibly an AGP (INTERGRATED).

If list make and models we can get a better idea of what you can do.

Thank you jds63 for your reply.

My XP desktop is an HP Pavilion a115uk machine which is the only one that has PCI card slots. This is the machine that has an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 card fiited inside as opposed to using the onboard graphics which is disabled.

I also have Creative SB Live card fitted in a PCI card slot.

And finally I have Hauppage Win TV tuner card fitted in a PCI slot.

I won't detail the other two computers I have as neither have PC card slots given one is a laptop & the other an all in one with no slots either.

My intention is to purchase a win 7 desktop tower, remove the aformentioned cards from the XP desktop & insert them in the new machine.

I am sure I have read somewhere that PCI slots are now different to what they were a few years ago, (this machine is eleven years old) I may have the wrong end of the stick so I stand to be corrected.

Have PCI slots changed since newers ystems have been developed?

Would this machine be suitable for me? That is in relation to the PCI cards I have.

http://www.amazon.co...00B5CTRMY?psc=1

With regards to the excessive fan noise, yes, the inside of it does get very dusty & I frequently clean to remove dust & fluff. I am not accustomed to buying computers to keep up with the latest technolgy but I think I have probably had my use out of this & more importantly there is no longer support for XP.

Edited by serida, 14 July 2014 - 06:46 PM.

old-fart

old-fart

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

re pci slots. What you needtolook at is the motherboard specs in this instance : Motherboard: ASUS F2A55-M LK2, socket FM2, AMD A55, 4× SATA II, RAID support, 4× USB 2.0, 2× Front-USB, 1× PCIe X16, 1× PCIe X1, 1× PCI, 2× PS/2, 7.1 HD Audio

( http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails )

the creative is most likely outclassed by the onboard audio (?) so you do have a pci slot for the tv card.

____

There is plenty of unofficial support for xp. You just have to dig for it. Most still use it. I still use dos and 98se. However as a main gnu/linux user I'm biased.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

re pci slots. What you needtolook at is the motherboard specs in this instance : Motherboard: ASUS F2A55-M LK2, socket FM2, AMD A55, 4× SATA II, RAID support, 4× USB 2.0, 2× Front-USB, 1× PCIe X16, 1× PCIe X1, 1× PCI, 2× PS/2, 7.1 HD Audio

( http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails )

the creative is most likely outclassed by the onboard audio (?) so you do have a pci slot for the tv card.

Welcome Serida,

True as said by OP, this system you linked has a better Sound card integrated then the PCI one you want to put in it, along with the graphics card too.

So would be no reason to use these cards, except for the Tuner card.

If you want to know the changes to PCI read this  http://en.wikipedia....nal_PCI#History

PCI 1.0 1992 Original issue, PCI 3.0  in 2002.

System listed seems o.k. way it is, mattering to your useage of a PC.( What you exactly use it for the most)

Always keep inside free from dust at least once a month, use can of compressed air, important as dust can damage fans and other parts over time. Also cause overheating.

Edited by jds63, 14 July 2014 - 10:15 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you old-fart (what a name!) also jds63 for your comments.

I have gone ahead & purchased the said machine.Not too worried about PCI cards for the time being, just initially setting up the machine to how I want it. I have got the basics running so to speak but one tiny niggling problem.

On my old XP machine I had my Seagate external drive plugged into it. if I then inserted a memory stick (flash drive) I would get the autoplay box come up asking me what option I wiant.

Once finished with the memory stick I would click safely remove hardware in the notification area & up would come the description of the memory stick.

With this new machine it is different.

Every time I switch it on I get the autoplay options for my external drive which I have to close. That also appears in the notification area.

Is there a workaround where I do not have to have the autoplay for that external drive, a memory stick fine but not for the Seagate drive.

Thank you.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Welcome back serida,

Your welcome.

Should be in control panel, settings, AutoPlay.

Open it and set it way you want it,drop down boxes when clicked on.

Is this Seagate going to be hooked up all the time ?

Trying to remember Windows 7, been awhile for me in Windows 8.1 when you plug in an external device or Flash card it will ask you the first time.

If you make no choice or take no action it will keep on asking you, but you can go into the control panel open AutoPlay there make your settings.

Some feel it's unsafe to make a device,CD,DVD and flash card autorun.

Notification area will put "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" do not think there is a way to get rid of this, you can hide it in settings in notification area. In control panel also or try right click taskbar select properties.

Be careful sometimes it's your operating system hard drive.

Edited by jds63, 25 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you jds63 for your comments.

Still having problems with the autoplay keep popping up but I shall put that on the back burner for the time being.

Since last posting I have spent my time configuring this new PC to my style & not worrying about any hardware changes.

In an earlier post I mentioned this new machine is replacing my XP machine that had a Creative sound card & a WinTV card both PCI fitted.

I had posted about the difference between PCI & PCIe cards.

This new machine is PCIe only therefore the PCI cards in my XP machine cannot be fiited into this new one.

You mentioned that the Creative PCI card could be outclassed by the onboard  sound card on the new machine. Fair enough.

This evening I clicked on sound recorder & up came this message: 'An audio recording device cannot be found'.

I googled for this & it appears it is a common problem. On the recording tab I ticked show disabled devices & disconnected devices, it only showed a mic icon saying it was not plugged in.

I do not wish to record with a mic.

With the Creative card & recording software I was able to select the source. The source for me is What U Hear. In other words I did not want to record from an external source only what is on the PC.

Am I right in thinking this is something I cannot do with this onboard sound card? If so I will then have to buy a new sound card.which hopefully with the software will allow me to choose the source.

I would be grateful for your advice as I am really confused.

Thank you.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Serida,

Your Welcome.

Still issue with "safely remove hardware" in notification area ?

Understand this more go to Device Manager, open disk, right click the disk and select policies, there you will see the options, just read it to understand it first.

Or a number of options asking you about how to handle the device ?

Open control panel, open sound, click the recording tab, list the devices in there.

Usually, microphone, line in, what u hear, and digital-in. Should be set to a default device usually digital-in, sound card you have integrated, i believe it is a RealTek. Check more only on setting in Realtek software first then.

Just be set to show diconnected devices.

if double click device should go to another window showing jack information.

Need to know what else is on this list, i see this is a 7.1 Audio, have speakers hooked up ?

Of course in most cases a Seperate Sound card will perform better then integrated, case before older system card on XP machine is why.

Not familiar with recording, but what u hear is analog. With recording, whatever input connections are on the back of PC , optical,etc..hook up to an external device,stereo,cd player.

Edited by jds63, 08 August 2014 - 07:50 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you jds63 for replying & for being patient with me. I'm sorry for having to keep posting.

As far as the USB external drive goes I'll put up with that problem until I can get other issues resolved. The main issue being the sound card.

I have already mentioned when I launched sound recorder I received an error message an audio recording device cannot be found. I think I said I did a google for that & it is a common problem to a lot of Win 7 users.

I followed your advice & as you will see from the snapshot there are three items listed. Disconnected & disabled devices are both ticked.

14889984423_f6ee3f4daf_o.jpg

Should I not see an entry for what U hear?

Am I right in thinking for what U hear does not need any cables attached because I only want to record sounds/music which is already on the PC?

BTW, playback is fine.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Serida,

For one don't ever be sorry here, we are here to help.You are most welcome.

I am a patient man, so no worries.

As said before i am not too familiar with doing recordings on a PC, whether is be Mic or other external device.

Where again are you clicking that you get this error ?

If no recording device is hooked up i would assume it will say no recording device found.

What U hear is for listening to a portable music player or other device, hooked into the sound card and heard through your speakers on PC, chances this card does not have the appropriate jack, why it is not there.

Sound cards like yours being 7.1 should have a green,black and orange for speakers, Mic and a line-in, also at times optical jacks in/out.

Need to take a look at the back of PC. Plus there should be settings in the software for this card, might not be set right. Did you install anything else since buying this PC ? What type of monitor hook up are you using ?

Record sound and music from where, what source ? Programs to put CD, MP3, and other formats of music files on to a blank disc.

Now if looking to record from another source as said, have to be hooked to line-in on sound card.

Edited by jds63, 09 August 2014 - 08:22 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you once again jds63 for your patience with me. It is ages since I have had anything to do with soundcards & I am now getting forgetful.

Back in 2003 I bought my HP desktop that had an onboard sound card, pretty basic. I bought the SB live100 card, fitted it, attached a lead to the motherboard which I think was to get sound, then disabled the onboard card in the bios.

I used to download music, sometimes the begining of a track had remmants of the previous track. I would play it back in media player & with creative software select what U hear & record the track from where I wanted it thus creating a new file/track.

That is what I wish to do with this new machine.

Playing back music is fine, it is the recording that is the problem.

The back of the machine has three sockets, pink, mic, green, line out, blue line in. The front of the machine has two sockets, green & pink.

How do I find the software for this card? Nothing else has been installed on this machime apart from firefox & thunderbird. My monitor is an Asus about two years old.

I now know what you mean about the onboard card, it is 7.1 whereas the cards I have been looking at on amazon are 5.1 so that would be abackward step although I have seen some 7.1 cards which are quite expensive.

From what I have written I don't think I have given you anything to work on.

As I previously said if I click on sound recorder from the programmes menu I get a message saying no audio recording device can be found & this seems to be a common problem for users on win 7.

That said, out of curioisty with another one of my machines that is an all in one, (the motherboard is in the monitor) which is also win 7, I clicked on sound recorder & it popped up okay.There was no option to slect what U hear though.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Welcome Serida,

When you use to do this play back media in Windows Media Player you used Creative's Sound card you had at the time and it's software, correct ?

You do not see any software for your sound card device in the control panel or in Sart menu under programs at all ? Go back to the playback tab in sound properties, what is the default device for speakers listed there ?

The previous recording tab did not show What U Hear listed. Amazon site you linked does not tell me brand of integrated sound card you have, but i assume may be a Realtek from this : ALC887, HD-Audio

Say Audio playback is fine, again where are you clicking in programs menu exactly ? Without knowing brand of sound card, i can not advice looking for software for it, but should be on th PC already and you have not done much to it, but install a browser. I do suspect something might be missing or configured wrong.( drivers).

Also try to access the PC manufacturer's site, for more answers. Not much luck for me looking this up.

Edited by jds63, 10 August 2014 - 09:51 PM.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi jds63 & thanks again for replying.

I might just have the answer to my problem but will answer your questions first.

Yes, indeed it was Creative recording software I used when I was playing back music already on the computer & creating a new audio track using what U hear.

The previous recording tab I assume you mean by what you saw in the snapshot? This is my onboard sound card:  Sound: 7.1 Sound 8-Channel HD Audio (ALC887)

I hope I am not going off on a tangent here. I have previously mentioned when I receied the first error message, no recording device found, I googled that & found so many other people with the same problem.

Since I last posted to you I did a google for what U hear which as you know is to record what is being played back through the speakers.

What I have now learnt though is that windows has a similar feature but it is called stereo mix.

Googling that I saw many posts saying people could not find that on their computer as with myself.

The following youtube clip does appear to give a solution & I would be grateful if you could spare the time to watch it & give me your opinion.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Serida,

Your welcome.

I do not like this advice of changing from the way it was or should be to get something to work, seems more like a Hack.

I personally would not advise this.

What you need to show or tell me is what do you see in the Device Manager under Audio Inputs and outputs, should be at the top like you saw in this Video.

Also in the Device Manager what is in the Sound, video and Game Controllers. Take a screen shot with both of these open, post it here.

As i keep saying we first need to see that everything is there and being recognized before doing anything else.

If you do make any changes, please make a system restore point first.

Regardless that you may need to make a settings change, you still are not providing me with the info i need, to even know the Drivers are there or not corrupt in anyway.

You basically keep avoiding looking where i tell you to and telling me over again about no recording, then going back to clicking something you are not telling me even where you are doing this.

If you have the Software you will have the drivers, it's one in the same.

We need to identify the Brand of Driver Sotware this system is using. I know i may have said to you and do not see any software anywhere ( programs, control panel,etc..) ?. In past systems if you most likely used Creative software you had Creative Drivers too.

Sorry to sound a certain way, but you need to provide certain info, to be able for us to help and understand the issues you are having.

Edited by jds63, 11 August 2014 - 09:01 PM.