Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Decoupling my new W8 laptop from its previous owner

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I received my daughter's old Samsung laptop as a gift and am in the process of installing my own bookmarks onto it. I have done nothing about changing the ownership as it is recorded on the PC and her name pops up from time to time.

For reasons I do not understand, bookmark changes I am making are affecting my daughter's use of her own W8 pc. My bookmarks are showing up on her pc! For whatever its worth, we are both using Chrome as our browsers.

Can someone please tell me why that is happening and what I need to do decouple the two pcs? Thanks.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi batpark :)

Google Chrome allows you to login to your Google account when you use it. This allows it to synchronise and link most of your web browser data such as bookmarks, saved passwords, etc to your Google account. This way, if you are to go on another computer using Google Chrome, all you have to do is to login in Chrome using your Google account to access all these personal data :) I suspect that your daughter Google account is still connected on your Google Chrome ! Simply click on the little round icon on the top right corner, select Settings and the first pane is about the Google account. Chose to logout from it and your bookmarks will stop adding themself to your daughters account and browser. From there, I suggest you to create yourself a Google account, log into it on Google Chrome and start saving your bookmarks from there :)

Have a good day !

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: Thanks much. You were right on. Problem resolved. ...batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Aura: Thanks much. You were right on. Problem resolved. ...batpark

No problem batpark, my pleasure ! :)
If you want to learn more about Google Chrome and your Google account sync, you can read Google's documentation on it here.

On this, have a good day batpark ! :)