Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've got some beastie: Anti-virus programs won't start, Window

• Please log in to reply

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Well, it loaded, which I guess is progress.  Unfortunately it got so hung up that I couldn't take a screen shot, open Firefox to report here or do anything else.  The first time it got hung up in the startup objects phase, the second time during the memory objects phase. 

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Well, it loaded, which I guess is progress.  Unfortunately it got so hung up that I couldn't take a screen shot, open Firefox to report here or do anything else.  The first time it got hung up in the startup objects phase, the second time during the memory objects phase.

Ok, start it up again, and let it run. But give it quite a while and let's see if it will run to completion. :)

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Fair enough. It's running now, hung up in the same place. As a precaution I'm not using the laptop for anything else. How long should I let it go?

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

OK, scratch that last.  Given an hour, it eventually bulls its way through hangups.  Log below:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 7/19/2014
Scan Time: 1:03:09 PM
Logfile: mbam.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012
Malware Database: v2014.07.19.06
Rootkit Database: v2014.07.17.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Greg

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 374226
Time Elapsed: 1 hr, 2 min, 0 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

OK, scratch that last. Given an hour, it eventually bulls its way through hangups. Log below:

:thumbsup: The log looks good as well, nothing detected. Let's see if ESET will run now.

Please disable all ad blockers and virus protections. Please reactivate them up completion of the scan.

Please note: This scan can take a long time to complete. I've seen it go as long as 17 hours on a scan. :)

Right click on either the Internet Explorer icon or the Firefox icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Task bar and select Run as Administrator from the menu.

If you use Firefox, you will be prompted to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe. Please do so, then double click it to install it.

Please click on this link and then click the ESET Online Scanner bar ---->esetbar_zps93905f48.jpg
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on Start
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
  • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on Start
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • Now click on Finish
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files(x86)\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Things I need to see in your next post

ESET Log

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

No joy on ESET.  I downloaded the installer and ran it. It tells me "Cannot Get Update -- Proxy Configured?"  There's a place to set custom proxy settings but no other way to bypass that screen.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Ok, let's check your settings in FireFox and make sure it's set to not use a proxy.

Click on Tools >> Options >> then click on the Network tab.

Then look under Connection and click on the Settings button beside where it says Configure how FireFox connects to the Internet.

Once the menu pops up, check and make sure that No Proxy is clicked. Then click Ok twice. Close your browser and then restart it.

Once restarted, try ESET again. :)

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

OK, it was set to "use system proxy" and I reset it to "no proxy."  No change - ESET returns the same message.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Alright, let's use a different online scanner as ESET doesn't want to cooperate with us. :)

Click here and download Dr.Web CureIt to the Desktop. The download button is as the bottom of the page. It will be downloaded as random filename.
  • Run Dr.Web CureIt (random filename) and let it run the express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
  • Once the short scan has finished, please do a re-scan.. This time, choose Complete Scan
  • Click the green arrow button at the right, and the scan will start.
  • After the scan finished, click Select all
  • Click on Cure and choose Move incurable
  • When the scan has finished, in the menu, click File and choose Save report list
  • Save the report to your Desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit. Reboot your PC in Normal Mode, and post DrWeb.csv in your next reply (Open it as Notepad)
Things I need to see in your next post

DrWeb Log

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
My firsr try at that brought a bsod and self-reboot. Trying again.

Advertisements

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

OK, done.  The Web

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Well [bleep].  The log appears too large to append as text.  It's 3.8 MB, so I also can't attach it.   The program said there were no threats.  Is that enough or are there parts of the log I can append for you?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
That's good enough, as it said there are no threats. :thumbsup:

Let's run a fix with FRST to eliminate a few items from it's last run. Also, from looking at your logs, you have 2 firewalls. Windows 7 firewall is active, and I'd like to check and make sure that Norton Internet Security's firewall is disabled.

Please disable your antivirus for the duration of my instructions. Don't forget to re-enable them after you have completed the steps.

Step 1: Check Norton Internet Security Firewall

Please follow the link below for instructions on turning off Norton's firewall. If it is active, please turn it off.

https://support.nort...tail_2012_en_us

Step 2: Fix with FRST
  • Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy.
  • Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste).
  • Save it on the desktop as fixlist.txt

Start
ShortcutTarget: OpenOffice.org 3.3.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (No File)
ShortcutTarget: OpenOffice.org 3.4.1.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (No File)
Hosts: Hosts file not detected in the default directory
CMD: netsh advfirewall reset
CMD: netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on
End

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait. The tool will make a log on the desktop (Fixlog.txt) please post it in your next reply.

Things I need to see in your next post:

Fixlog.txt Log

How is the machine running?

homebrew901

homebrew901

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Ugh.  Norton would not open.  There's a Norton menu on the Start button that indicates that the smart firewall was on but I was unable to turn it off.  The computer is still running poorly.  MBAM opens, which iis progress, but I still can't open Yahoo mail and Chrome won't connect to the internet.  I was able to get Norton to open an error page, which tells me that it wants me to follow some process.  Should  I do that?

Log follows:

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 15-07-2014 01
Ran by Greg at 2014-07-19 21:06:48 Run:2
Running from C:\Users\Greg\Desktop
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

Content of fixlist:
    Start
    ShortcutTarget: OpenOffice.org 3.3.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (No File)
    ShortcutTarget: OpenOffice.org 3.4.1.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (No File)
    Hosts: Hosts file not detected in the default directory
    CMD: netsh advfirewall reset
    CMD: netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on
    End

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe not found.
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe not found.
Hosts was reset successfully.

=========  netsh advfirewall reset =========

Ok.

========= End of CMD: =========

=========  netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on =========

Ok.

========= End of CMD: =========

==== End of Fixlog ====

Edited by homebrew901, 19 July 2014 - 07:13 PM.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
If possible, could you post a screen shot of what Norton is wanting you to do? The scans are coming back clean for malware, so I'm wondering if the problem lies in another direction.