Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop windows 7 Professional 64 bit won't boot to windows anymore

• Please log in to reply

thrills

thrills

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can tell me how I can fix this boot issue and get my windows 7 working again without deleting my programs, files, data etc (Basically without restoring my pc from scratch)

Everything was working fine until i started installing "sonos" wireless software for controlling audio, After that i restarted my laptop and started getting this black boot error message as shown below

Things I have already tried but no luck

1) I tried pressing f8 and clicked on restore to last working settings option and that didnt work

2) Starting windows in safe mode but took me back to this same error message
3) placed my windows 7 installation disc and clicked on Repair Windows. I did the startup repair and when it completed what was weird now.. it got passed the boot error message and saw microsft text loading but then went to blue screen of death, then once restarted my computer again back to this "Windows Boot Manager" issue

It will only go to BSOD (blue screen of death if i choose start windows normally) when laptop starts booting up. I

What i noticed that looked a bit off is when i tried to do a repair windows using my windows 7 disc the partition said E: . Shouldn't it be on C Drive? cause i never saw an E Drive when using my computer. Windows was always installed on C Drive

I attached some photos so you can see what i mean and something about system volume is corrupt when i clicked on Diagnosis and repair details from the startup repair menu since Startup repair said it could not fix this problem automatically

I also did this command BCDEDIT at command prompt from my recovery options. and if you look where it says WIndows Boot Loader It also says partition E:Drive. Should i change that to C or no that's normal?

Can this be fixed without having to reinstall windows and lose all my data?

3525c3b.jpg

z362u.jpg

kcm6hu.jpg

npfdya.jpg

2u7nbc9.jpg

ettngy.jpg

14wfsxs.jpg

16ja89.jpg

I don't think my harddrive went bad or not working cause on System recovery options i clicked on add drivers and i can browse all the folders on E drive which when logged in on windows should be C Drive but everything seems to be there photo below

23t379u.jpg

Advertisements

thrills

thrills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update

Couple of things i've tried
I even tried this software to automatic repair windows 7

EasyRe Professional For Windows 7

burned the iso and it booted up the cd, selected automatic repair and said completed but still now i just get the blue screen of death, no black screen

2) I tried the commands
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

only fixMBR says completed. the other 2 says element not found

2mmyasm.jpg
10wp8y8.jpg

Before on windows 7 install disk on system recovery options it showed my operating system, but i guess after i did those commands fixmbr, now it no longer shows up

swcl8w.jpg
2mo91.jpg

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi thrills and welcome to the G2G forums,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered with your computer.

It looks like quite a problem you have there and it may be necessaary for you to restore Windows by a fresh installation.....This should be quick and easy if you have a good disc image made when your machine was working well with no problems and set up just as you like it.

If for some reason you don't have a good up to date disc image available then a fresh install of Windows should not take too long and then you can just reinstall your applications and copy your data files across from your last back ups.

If for any reason you do not have a good back up readily available then its worth trying to run chkdsk with the r switch on each of your drives.

If you need a steer on doing this then take a look at post 6 here:

http://www.sevenforu...ion-failed.html

its likely that your attempts at recovery have made the machine create an e: drive for recovery purposes.

There's no guarantee that running chkdsk with the r switch multiple times ( repeat, multiple times) will do the trick but it will provide a sporting chance.

Before running chkdsk or reinstalling Windows its always worth downloading your hard drive manufacturer's drive testing and repair utility, creating a bootable CD and booting from that to see if your hard drive is failing.....( obviously you will need access to a working machine to do this (or ask a chum to help out)

If the hard drive is shown to be failing (you will need to perform both the short and the extended, longer test, but you can skip the accoustic test) then there s no point in trying to reinstall Windows on a suspect or failing drive, get a new one (they are cheap and take only a minute of two to fit) and then image it from your last good disc image or install Windows afresh and copy across your data from your back ups.

If when checking your back ups you find that somedata that is important to you, for some reason, was not included in them then its often possible to use your Win 7 disc to remedy the situation by copying it off to removable media......alternatively you could use a live distro of Linux (Puppy is good) to do the same thing.

Puppy will be happy running entirely within RAM and once you have all your important data ( things you don't want to lose permanently,,,safe on removable media with at least one copy verified and confirmed reproducible, kept safe offsite, you can start the repair process.

Regards

paws