Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long distance run

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I'm helping a buddy of mine with his network and ran into an unexplainable issue.  He has an office, then an underground run of ~100' to his 4 bay garage, then another 100' run from the garage to the house.  The office has a wireless Buffalo router, a new Comcast Modem and DLink switch.  The garage used to have an old DLink router set in bridge mode acting as a switch and a TP LInk WAP.  From there, the cable came out of the DLink and went to the house, where it was plugged into another DLink switch.  From that switch we had yet another TP Link WAP for the house and a wired HP printer. 

Everything seemed to be working fine, except the speeds at the garage and house were dismal. After some testing, I found that if I plugged the cable directly into the WAP in the garage, I would get normal wireless speeds.  It was only when it was plugged into the switch did things get weird.  The same with the house.  If you plugged driectly into the WAP, you got normal speeds, but plugging the WAP into the switch, I got crappy speeds again.

So, we decided that the switches might be going bad / getting old / whatever, so I had him buy two new switches.  I installed the first one in the garage, plugged in the WAP and viola' blazing fast wireless.  We head down to the house, plug in the new switch to the wall and nothing.  The light on the switch illuminates for a split second, then goes off for about 5 seconds, then illuminates for a split second, then goes off.  It's acting like it isn't connected.  Here is the weird part, if I plug the WAP into the wall, it connects immediately and I get great speeds, but for some reason the switch won't connect.  We thoght the switch might be defective, so we swapped them out and the same thing happens. 

Any ideas?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

If you're going to connect a switch to another switch, you're going to need a cross-over cable. I'd suggest a better way would be to run a 100' network cable to the garage, and a 200' cable to the house. Bypassing the switch in the garage. Or, instead of Office -> Garage -> House, go from Office -> Garage and Office -> House.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

I'm almost positive that it is a crossover cable, but I will have him check to be sure. 

As for running new cables, I'll have to ask about the feasibility.  I'm not sure if he has conduit underground or not. 

I'll report back once I hear from him.

Thanks!