Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

build question (solved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Preferred method  to upload a file or image to G2G. 

First, > click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.)  > Type in your text.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left) or see the next part to capture an image.

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file/image you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left, 

Repeat if you have more files/images to upload, > When finished, > click Reply button.

To capture and post a screenshot; Instruction are for anyone who is unsure of the steps.. 

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side of the keyboard.   (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start...all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area, then > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, Be sure to save as jpeg,...otherwise it may be to big to upload,

save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing.  

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I knew about the PRT SCR button but I did not know about pasting it in paint. I always wondered how they did that. I never seen that "More reply options" button before. haha! Thanks!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome h :thumbsup:eartgrave. :rockon:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

So I removed the sata cables, power included, from the BD-ROM drive and plugged them into the 2nd hdd. Now this 2nd hdd does not show up on the "My Computer" window or the diskmgmt.msc window. It still shows the 1tb hdd and not the 500gb hdd. On the "My Computer" window it still shows the BD-ROM drive as well, but it's not connected.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by heartgrave, 16 August 2014 - 02:53 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please answer the following questions.

Did you install a new MB?   if yes, give the brand and model.

Did you backup the Data from the 1TB drive?

Disconnect the 500GB drive?

Wipe the 1TB drive, then perform a clean install of the OS?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

No to all. I have not done anything except disconnect the BD-ROM and connect the 500GB HDD. That is all.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

With the computer off.

Disconnect the HDD SATA/power cables at both ends, reconnect them.

Power on, > go to Device Manager, if the second HDD is not seen, from the action menu, click the scan for hardware changes.   If still not seen.

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS.

Look under Storage Devices.

Are both HDDs recognized?

Edit.

What is the present MB?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

The present MB is some real old foxconn or apricot thing.

I will try the suggested items when I can in the next day or 2

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is this your MB, > http://h10025.www1.h...=in&dlc=en#N440

If yes, it does have 4 SATA connections, 2 appear to be used in some way for the ODD, (SATA 1.1) it should leave 2 X 2 SATA 2.0

before making any backups or deleting software and to ensure there are no mistakes here.

Please tell us which drive will be used for the OS and which for the storage drive?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Its

Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0U880P (CPU 1) 30 °C

It's only got 2 SATA ports.

Edited by heartgrave, 16 August 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, found it.

If the HDD is not detected, try it on another computer or from an external caddy over USB.   

When plugged in, can you hear/feel anything from it? does it get warm?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Did everything listed above except the usb/external as I do not have that option. Bios shows SATA 0 not detected. SATA 1 detected the 1TB hdd. I plugged it into mine and it does not let me power up the system. I get 4 short POST beeps and it shuts down and tries to restart

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Deleted by Heartgrave.

Edited by heartgrave, 17 August 2014 - 06:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The AMI BIOS appears to be the only standard one that omits 4 short beeps (not Dell/HP.)

All refer to a system timer failure.   Why that should occur by adding a HDD, I can only guess.

CMOS battery is low or loose.

BOIS time does not match Windows time and region.

When testing on your computer, did you add the 1TB as a secondary  HDD, still booting from the already installed  OS drive? 

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I fixed the short POST beeps. I went back into my system and thoroughly checked every wire. The only wire that was loose was for the CPU fan. I must've caught it during this phase and unplugged it, because when I plugged it back in, the issue was fixed. Hence, my deleted post stated that the 4 POST beeps still happen even after taking out the 500GB HDD which is now fixed. But, since I figured out that issue, I am going to go back and re-connect the 500GB HDD that is not showing up and see if it works now, as I did not know about the wire until after I removed it.

For what it's worth, my system is very nice as you may have read in previous posts, and I almost cried.

Edit: I re-added the 500GB HDD to my system and nothing showed up. Nothing on "My Computer", diskmgmt.msc, device manager>scan for hardware changes, nothing.

Besides the $2.91 price difference, what is the difference between 

Windows 7 Home Premium With Service Pack 1 64-bit - License and Media - 1 PC - PC

and

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - System Builder (OEM)?

I unfortunately, can not find an answer anywhere.

I also want to clarify that this topic's question is for my dad's computer build and not mine, as mine is currently fully upgraded and is only being used for this website and testing his HDD.

Edited by heartgrave, 18 August 2014 - 03:00 PM.