Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Path appears ok, but doesn't work at Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

That fixed it.  Thank you so much.  Just because I'm the type to never be satisfied with just getting the problem fixed...What exactly was the problem?

The definition of the PATH variable on the Windows Registry is normally stored on a value with type REG_EXPAND_SZ this will instruct the system to expand the other variables like %SystemRoot%. In your case most likely some program! changed the PATH and save it to the registry with type REG_SZ and this stops the expansion of the variables. There is probably a better explanation but this should gives you an idea...

Advertisements

sbohanan

sbohanan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That fixed it.  Thank you so much.  Just because I'm the type to never be satisfied with just getting the problem fixed...What exactly was the problem?

The definition of the PATH variable on the Windows Registry is normally stored on a value with type REG_EXPAND_SZ this will instruct the system to expand the other variables like %SystemRoot%. In your case most likely some program! changed the PATH and save it to the registry with type REG_SZ and this stops the expansion of the variables. There is probably a better explanation but this should gives you an idea...

It does.  Thanks.  Again, I greatly appreciate the help.  :)