Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC gets power but does nothing (won't boot) (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Purchase nothing at the moment, I would have the present PSU tested by a reputable tech store who have the required equipment, test the speaker on your system for sure but don't go dismantling it, if the speaker emits a single beep when your MB completes the POST you know that the speaker is good.

I do not wish to alarm you but the attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU, I am not aware of any Staples outlet for example that has such equipment in store.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I don't think I know of any "reputable" computer repair stores anywhere around.  I've got a Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, and (a little bit of a drive away) a Comp USA store.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Testing the speaker on your MB is as much as you can do then.

It is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start in the morning so will be going offline shortly.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Alright, thanks.  Goodnight.  I'm gonna check the speaker now, and I'll let you know if it's working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yep speaker works fine.  I hooked it up inside my rig and it gave me 1 beep while it was booting.  I'm gonna call Comp USA (pretty much Tigerdirect.com in brick & mortar form) and see if they are able to test PSUs.  Is there anything specific I should ask them so that I know they have the right equipment to properly test it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Difficult question for me to answer as I wouldn't know who to call upon here in the UK  :(

I have spare PSUs that I use for testing systems that have issues and that is the only way that I can suggest to you I`m afraid, just so that you are aware, MBs are more prone to failure than CPUs and MB failure is strongly suggested in this instance.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Ah that's true, you're across the pond!  I just called TIgerdirect.com (they have a physical location about 20mins drive from my home) and said they can test power supplies there for free.  Do you think that means they're just testing voltage output from the rails?   :wacko: 

I'm really hoping (for my buddies sake) that it's the PSU and not the MB, so that if he decides to upgrade in a year or 2 he won't have to buy ANOTHER MB again, for the new parts that likely won't fit into an older board.   :(

Edited by GhostLoad, 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Nothing ventured - nothing gained, phone and ask TD what sort of PSU test they are able to do, if voltage only ask if they will test the MB with a known good PSU.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Ah see I fumbled when they said they could do it, and couldn't think of what to ask them on the spot.  Dang!  I'll call them back tomorrow and ask that.  Thanks for helping me figure out exactly what to ask.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome, good luck and keep us posted please  :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Will do, I'll update tomorrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I called and the guy on the line mumbled up a storm, and pretty much just responded with "yeah" to anything I asked him.  I think they outsource their calls.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure what to say other than it is not helpful to you in any way at all  :(

Spare PSUs are not something that the average person is expected to have laying around but it is worth asking your friends etc first.