Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building an HTPC--Suggestions? (Completed Build)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It sounds as though a cable has come undone or there may be a short.

The 20 pin main connection and the 4 pin 12v plug beside the CPU are correct.

When you installed the MB, did you make sure there were only standoffs installed matching the screw holes in the board?  no extra ones.

Remove the PSU, place it beside the case and connect only the two main cables to the MB.   Check the CPU fan plug is connected to the CPU fan header on the MB.

Power on.   The PSU and CPU fans should run.

MB Manual, > http://download.asro.../H97M-ITXac.pdf

Have a look at this video, > 

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry to hear about your troubles, hate it when a new build doesn't power up, it could be something as simple as a faulty power on switch (lets hope.) but usual cause in my experience is a bad motherboard, and there really is no way to test that for most people.

standard trouble shooting is to try it outside the case on the motherboard box, disconnect everything except for psu, 1 stick of ram and cpu+heatsink. connect the display and keyboard and carefully short out the power pins to turn it on and see if it now posts.

sounds like you have connected everything correctly power wise, triple check with motherboard manual tho, and you've already checked the psu works, so if it still won't power on then i'm afraid i'd contact the seller and get a replacement motherboard, try again if still no joy then get a replacement cpu and see if things now work.

sorry can't offer any simple solution to get it working for you.

:popcorn:

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks guys. I took out the MB and PSU, connected the cables and plugged it in, turned it on--nope.
There are only 4 standouts for the MB.

Terry, I'm not sure what you mean about shorting out the power pins. The power connector is attached to the MB, right?

It seems I should return the MB first? Should I do that through the seller (newegg) or the manufacturer? Should I contact the manufacturer to see if they can help?
Thanks again...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Any warranty claim should be with the retailer first, if Newegg, see this page, > https://secure.neweg...t/RMALogin.aspx

Reply  #30 

I then plugged in the atx cable. When I tried to fire it up, just to see if it would post, nothing. 

If you only had the one 20 pin cable connected, it would not work, you must have the 4 pin 12v plugged in as this actually powers the CPU. 

Let's double check before seeking a RMA.

MB outside of the case on the MB box.

CPU installed with the CPU cooler plugged into the CPU fan header.

Connect the 20 pin plug and the 4 pin plug, no other connections at all.

With a small bladed screwdriver short out the 2 power on pin on the front panel header, see MB manual, Page, 6 #10 System Panel Header (PANEL1) and page 24.

It is the back left pins on your MB.

You can't harm yourself or the board, The PSU and CPU fans should spin up. this is the only video I could find. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Terry, I'm not sure what you mean about shorting out the power pins.

see above video and then check in motherboard manual to make sure you have the correct 2 pins.

see if this helps explain basic testing procedure :- http://www.pcworld.c...e_built_pc.html

i always do first boot outside the case, if you need to exchange parts always take them to the seller first.

i am curious tho why your new power supply only has 20 pin power connector, always thought new psu's come with a 20+4 power lead so they can fit the old 20pin connection type as well as the newer 24 pin connection type.

some images on what i mean by 20+4 here :- https://www.google.c...son.htm;570;307

images of cpu power lead :- https://www.google.c...nector&imgdii=_

Edited by terry1966, 23 January 2015 - 04:47 AM.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

This what I was trying to express. There is a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector that are bundled together. I put the 20 pin in the large slot, and then the 4 pin in the 12v 4 pin slot on the other side of the MB. It seemed weird to me because it barely reaches there; I had to do some creative stretching to get it there. I thought that maybe that 4 pin connector should go into the other empty 4 slots on the large ATX connector. I'm not sure what would plug into the 12v atx slot if that last 4-pin doesn't go in the CPU power slot.

Should I post a photo?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok think your making a mistake, there should be another 4 pin power lead from your power supply, it will have 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires, that is what you connect to the cpu socket.

the 4 pin connector your currently using can't remember the colours of all the wires now but should have at least 1 red wire and 1 yellow wire, this plug should be able to be clipped to the 20 pin connector somehow (it may just need to be held there without actually clipping together when inserting. but usually in my experience both will slide together top,down) to make a 24 pin connector that plugs in the 24pin header on the motherboard.

with any luck that will solve your power on problems.

yellow wires are +12v, red are +5v if memory serves.

Edited by terry1966, 23 January 2015 - 09:53 AM.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
So, took everything apart to start again fresh. Does this look bad? Are the cpu pins damaged?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

cpu pins damaged ?? no idea exactly what you mean by this. have you removed it and physically damaged something in the motherboard socket?

you shouldn't need you to take everything apart either.

don't know if any damage was done to the cpu or motherboard by you connecting the wrong lead,

fingers crossed it just meant the cpu wasn't getting the correct power it needed to run so simply connecting the correct power lead to the cpu power socket and then the now 24pin connection (20+4) to the motherboard 24pin header and turning it on will power up the pc.

if it still doesn't power on then yes it isn't looking good and damage may have been done to either the motherboard or cpu and you'll have to go through the return part, rebuild process.

when contacting seller about replacement, don't tell them you connected anything wrong, just say when everything was connected correctly it wouldn't power on so think the part is bad and want a replacement.

before starting any returns tho first make sure all the correct power leads are connected and see what if any lights appear on the motherboard when attempting to power it on, also if the case or motherboard came with a speaker connect it and see if it makes any beebs, these are error codes and should be listed in the motherboard manual.

don't know if you did or did not fully read the motherboard manual but if not i suggest you do again, just to triple check everything especially troubleshooting any codes the motherboard may be giving to let you know where the problem is.

Edited by terry1966, 23 January 2015 - 01:27 PM.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

This is what I am talking about, with the "pins." Does it seem OK?

So, I got the power to work. The problem was the wrong cable in the 12v atx for the processor. Duh. That was embarrassing.

I carefully put everything together, making sure that the power continued to work at every step. I got it all together and connected it to the monitor and turned it on. The fans are all spinning, but nothing pops up on the monitor. The monitor seems to recognize some juice coming through, because the "Check cable" notification has disappeared (it comes back with I unplug the monitor cable).

There is no beeping. After about one minute, the system seems to reset, stop, and start again.

I don't see anything about beep codes or even troubleshooting in the MB manual or the case manual.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2836.JPG

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Are the cpu pins damaged? 

Yes, afraid so.  Hard to say when the damage happened   Looks, to me, like impact damage as against improper CPU alignment, that usually shows as whole lines or sections bent in one directions, sort of squashed.

Sometimes boards ship with socket damage, but very very hard to prove. 

Wait for other to give opinions. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

if your very careful you could very gently ease them back into a straight line, and try again, need a magnifying glass probably.

no guarantees tho and might still need to rma either/both the motherboard and cpu.

eg.

not forgetting now you've removed the cpu and heatsink, you will need to clean both the cpu and heatsink surfaces and apply new thermal paste when re-fitting..

eg.

standard trouble shooting is to try it outside the case on the motherboard box, disconnect everything except for psu, 1 stick of ram and cpu+heatsink. connect the display and keyboard and carefully short out the power pins to turn it on and see if it now posts.

so simply connecting the correct power lead to the cpu power socket and then the now 24pin connection (20+4) to the motherboard 24pin header and turning it on will power up the pc.

don't see where it was mentioned earlier but you will also need to connect the heatsink fan to the correct cpu fan header on the motherboard, then try to power on and fingers crossed everything will now work.

Edited by terry1966, 24 January 2015 - 02:15 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I expect you are feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment and thoroughly P off.

A few deep breaths and a long think is needed.

The damage is not too bad, the pins appear just  bent over and do not look kinked, so you could try a repair now, or.

RMA the MB, you might just be lucky and get a replacement, if they say "no, the socket is damaged,"   you could claim it arrived like that.   If they still say no, then try a repairYourseelf.

I know this would be time consuming, but have a think about it. 

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

The MB is packed up now, so I'll RMA it and see what they say.

I'm not PO'd as much as disappointed with myself that I did this--this was my fourth build and the first time it happened. I got all the gear really quickly and tried to get it all together that night, when I didn't have a lot of time, so I rushed it and was not careful.

If they don't RMA it, I'll probably just buy a new one. I don't want to deal with being uncertain about it working. Expensive mistake. Grrr! :bashhead:

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

we all have made them at one time or another, that's how we learn best.

hate to try and think of how much my mistakes have cost me over my life time. :rofl: