Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White screen on logon [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Aleigha

Aleigha

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have recently taken my laptop out of storage and have been updating all my program's, most of all this was yesterday however today I proceeded to update my adobe and a pop up on the AVG asking to block I assumed it was for the adobe and denied. I now cannot do anything except logon to safe mode command prompt. Otherwise on login it shows a white screen, from here I can only cntrl alt del to get the menu. I have tried deleting files using computer > organise > folder and search options > view. choose to show hidden files folders and drives & unblock hide extensions for know file types
Then emachines > users > aleigha > appdata >roaming. I deleted the only updated file from today
Then again through the same process but local > temp. And deleted all temporary files.

I have also restored laptop to a earlier date. Twice. The first time it failed. The second time it completed but still continues to have the same issue.

Please help 😣

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Hi Aleigha,

Welcome to Geeks to Go. My name is dbreeze and I'll be helping you with this problem. Before I get into the removal of malware / correction of your problem, I need you to be aware of the following:
  • As I am in the final phase of training right now, my responses to you may be delayed slightly as they have to be checked by my adviser (good news for you, as there will be two sets of eyes fixing your problem). I promise to be as prompt as possible in helping you, so please bear with me and we will get through this.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also, as some of the cleaning may be done in Safe Mode and there will be no internet connection then, you will find that having the steps printed for reference speeds the cleaning process along. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear to you, please come back to me for clarification before you start those steps.
  • All of the assistants and staff at Geeks to Go are here on a volunteer basis; please respect our time given to the cause of helping others.If you are going to be away for more than 4 days, please let me know here. (I will do the same for you.) We do realize that 'life happens' and situations arise unexpectedly; we just ask that you keep us up to date. That being said, please notice the following Geeks to Go rule:
  • Posts that are not replied to in four (4) days will result in the topic being closed. We have not forgotten you; this is just an effort to keep the boards organized and flowing. To continue on your closed topic, please PM me or any Moderator to have the topic reactivated. If, at any time during our working together, I have not responded to you in 2 days (48 hours), then please PM me.
  • Malware removal is a complex, multiple step process; please stay with me on this thread (don't start another thread) until I declare that your logs are clean and you are good to go. The absence of apparent issues does not mean your system is clean; I will tell you when everything looks good for you to go and help you remove the tools we have used.
  • If any of the security programs on your system should give any warnings about the software tools I ask you to download and use, please do not be alarmed.All of the tools I will have you use are safe to use (as instructed) and malware free.
  • While we strive to disrupt your system as little as possible, things happen.If you can, it would be best to back up your personal files now (if you do not already have a backup). You can store these on a CD/DVD, USB drive or stick, anywhere but on your same system. This will save you from possible anguish later if something unforeseen happens.
  • Please do not run any other tools or scanners than what I ask you to.Some of the openly available software made for malware removal can make changes to your system that interfere with the cleaning of the malware, or even destroy your system. I will use only what the situation calls for and direct you in the proper use of that software.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you.Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.
Let's get started....

Do you have access to a USB stick / drive and a different computer (a system you can download some file onto to use on the affected one)?

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thankyou for a speedy reply! I appreciate your time
I have access to a USB stick but not another computer, my laptop is no longer allowing me to any internet access also.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

How are you communicating here?

You said you can only get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.  Are the other options available also?

Similar to this picture below:

44121d1262006739-advanced-boot-options-a

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am using my iPhone to communicate.

The exact options as above are available, but anything I have looked into with the white screen issue States the computer will not open but just restart, but have not yet tried to do so. I am sitting in safe mode command prompt > explorer. ATM

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am using my iPhone to communicate.

The exact options as above are available, but anything I have looked into with the white screen issue States the computer will not open but just restart, but have not yet tried to do so. I am sitting in safe mode command prompt > explorer. ATM

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Do you have a cable to connect the iPhone to the Laptop?  We just need to download and copy one file to your PC, run a scan with that program and copy the log back here.  Usually we do this with a USB drive but in this case .....

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes I do. Which file do I need to download?

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Step1 - Please download the following files onto the iPhone / drive.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64

Step2 - Unlocking the 'Infected' system
If your system is still in Safe Mode with Command Prompt then continue with the next steps. If your system is not at the Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then reboot the system and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the Advanced Boot Options menu..

In the Command Prompt window, please type explorer.exe and then press Enter on your keyboard.

The Windows desktop will now appear. When the desktop appears you can then close the Command Prompt window by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner of the command window.

Now attach the iPhone / drive and open up the drive letter associated with the iPhone. You can access this drive letter by opening the Computer icon on your desktop or from the Start Menu. Once the drive letter is open, double-click on the FRST.exe file and see if it will run on your PC.  If it does you will see a screen similar to this one below.  If it does not run, try the FRST64.exe file.  One of the two will run.

FRST_zps8b56fd19.jpg

Once on this screen, click on the Scan button and let it scan your system.  The program will make two log files (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) and will try to store these files on the same location as the FRST file.

Please come back here and attach the log files to a post.

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It comes up with safari cannot download this file

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Okkkaayyyy....  iPhones don't like files but will move pictures.  hhmmmm....

If you can find or borrow a friend's PC to download the files, up load the scan logs and download the fix script  ....  that's all we need.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Aleigha,

I have been discussing this problem with my adviser and wondered if you have access to an Android-based phone and cable?

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had replied yesterday but didn't send through i see. I don't have acess to an android but have arranged to use a friends computer today. Only I'm waiting on a package to arrive before I can leave to do so. Is this the only file I will have to download, just while I have acesses to another computer?

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Aleigha,

All right!!  So, let's see ...  If you only have access to a different computer for a limited time are you going to be able to reply back with the log files?

Aleigha

Aleigha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh good point! I just remembered I had a laptop sitting in my car, could have done this yesterday hah what a shame. Okay so I have downloaded file now and uploaded to the USB plugged it into the infected computer it pops up with
The program can't start because LPK.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem
This also has appeared in the past where I have tried to open Safari or AVG on the laptop