Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SHLWAPI.DLL not found

• Please log in to reply

pdanly

pdanly

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Yesterday I ran into the following error message when rebooting my win98 machine. [A required .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL, was not found.] As I continue to log in I get a second message [Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall windows.] I've had my computer for some time now and I'm unable to locate the win98 disks that it came with. I also am unable to log into it. How can I get back into the pc to fix it? I read the malware section which was helpful and if I can get the pc up and running, I would like to use the software to remove any harmful files that may have been put on my PC.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it has run and says OK, press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

If it is a registry problem this will fix it, if not you would need the Windows CD

pdanly

pdanly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I rebuilt the registry as instructed but I'm still seeing the same error messages.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get the missing dll here

http://www.dll-files...s.shtml?shlwapi