Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD dilemma

• Please log in to reply

Sarvesh Govenkar

Sarvesh Govenkar

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey i was thinking of going for AMD APU's after one of my friends suggested as cheaper alternative

i am stuck between A4 4000, A4 6300 i read couple of reviews about it can play most of the modern games on low setting  i just want to justify since i am not planning spending on a graphics card so soon 

all i want to know if its a good purchase far a casual gamer like me and can it play games like Metro,Tomb raider,COD ghost Assassin creed black flag so on 

please help and suggest a nice cheap mother board to go along with it as well my toatal buget in 150 $

for processor,motherboard and ram 

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

suggest a nice cheap mother board to go along with it as well my toatal buget in 150 $

for processor,motherboard and ram

Sorry to rain on your parade, but $150 will easily go on any one component.

>motherboard: mobo problems are the single most difficult to diagnose, and usually cannot be fixed. There are definitly cheap motherboards out there, some under $100, but they are not "nice". Foxconn, for example, is one of the most economical mobos out there, but poorly engineered and poorly made. I have one come in at least once every week.

>Processor: if you want to save money, go with AMD. I have built with AMD processors exclusively for years and only had one fail. Your best bang for the buck.

>Ram: again, you will pay for good memory, and you will pay in sweat and curses with cheap memory. Your choice. For 4 gigs of RAM (don't go any lower, especially if you are going to game) it will take most of your $150.

I can tell from your post that you have not done your homework. Study the different components until you have a deeper knowledge of what they will do so you can make an informed decision. I have built every computer I have ever owned in the last 30 years, I have built for other people, and I work on folks computers every week. The above suggestions come from years of watching other people make poor quality decisions. I wish you the best in your hunt!

[EDIT]: Sorry, I didn't address the subject of the APU-my bad. I use Newegg.com for my components because of their stellar customer satisfaction record. The A4 4000 was no longer available so I can't comment on it. The A4 6300 is still available so I reviewed the specs on that. Note that it only has 1 meg of L2 cache, and that, to me, is a deal breaker. Any processor that you will want should have at least 4 meg L2 orL3 cache.Your cache can make or break performance, and this cache is way too low. Remember, the video is sharing your memory and clock cycles with the CPU. They do not specify the FSB, but I will bet dollars to dimes it is low-another deal-breaker. This system is going to be way too slow for even medium gaming, and forget going online gaming, you will be cannon fodder for your opponents. Remember, AMD runs hot, so you will need good cooling if you are going with air (not liquid). I have built dozens of units using AMD processors and I like them, but they do run hotter than Intel so don't get nervous about it.

Bottom line: this CPU is great for movie streaming, ordinary web surfing and light gaming. But it was never intended for heavy graphics or gaming. Check the users' reviews on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...3-349-_-Product

Edited by ranchhand3, 05 August 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Sarvesh Govenkar

Sarvesh Govenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

so what do you suggest for a budget pc of say 300-350$

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Are you building this yourself from scratch, meaning that you need everything from a case to a keyboard and monitor? Or.....?

Sarvesh Govenkar

Sarvesh Govenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

nope only  mother board, processor, ram and power unit

mainly i will use it for gaming and might even consider Litecoin mining

so i ned a graphics card which can play all the modern games but at the same time be voltage friendly for 

Litecoin mining

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I'm really not trying to be a downer here, but until you have enough to spend ($800-$900) for a medium strength computer, you are up a creek if you want to game. Gaming is what drives the computer industry, and these games create the greatest stress on a computer short of a burn-in utility. We could spend many posts discussing various configurations, but until you have the money it would be pointless. Here is a link from a different thread discussing this very topic, and it will give you an idea of the type of computer you are talking about, and even this one is medium strength, but at lease you can run the games you post about.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MfNGhM

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Although I agree you need more cash for a medium gamer, If you are prepared to start with an entry one and upgrade over, say the next year, here as a scenario.  You would be gaming at lower setting until you get a discrete GPU. 

CPU. Intel Pentium G3258.   It has not got a K at the end, but is an unlocked CPU, gets glowing reviews everywhere, > http://www.tomshardw...mance,3849.html   Performs very well at stock speeds, simple to overclock in the future to match a good GPU.

MB, could go cheap, but defeats the upgrade path, so Asrock had designed a special board to match, upgrade here would be, any Socket 1150 CPU, including a i7.  would take a GTX Titan, providing the case size and PSU where compatible.

RAM.  With 8GB, the sweet spot for gaming, there would be no need to upgrade.  It would run at the CPU default 1333, so you could run at that or enable XMP in the BIOS for 1600. 

PSU, A Gold certified 550W, 7 years warranty, would power a very high end GPU in the future, not a Titan though.

HDD, Mechanical 1TB,  upgrade would be to a SSD and reuse the HDD for storage.

You would need to have a suitable case and a Optical Drive.

Entry level gamer > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9mhyHx

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Good specs on the low-end.  I might just add that remember technology is changing very fast, so if you are going to plan on upgrading the unit down the road, don't wait too long, As Iammykil said above, don't wait more than one year. The technology industry is fiercely competitive and manufacturers are striving to outdo each other,These motherboard sockets can change quickly as new engineering concepts are invented so the CPU manufacturers (AMD & Intel) change their CPU mountings to conform. If you wait too long you may find that your CPU socket mount is no longer available and you are stuck with no options other than checking EBay, which is risky at best. 

The other thing to remember is that gaming takes no prisoners, especially online competition. You will be up against gamers that spend thousands of dollars on their equipment and you don't stand a chance. I suggest that you check the games' hardware requirements before committing to a low-end unit. Whatever minimum requirements they specify, double it and you will be able to play your game and enjoy it.